Lycaste aromatica

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think Secundino -you are right as I have a cochleata open right now & they are the same.I also checked with Orchid Wiz & aromatica is different.This was the 1st time it had ever been questioned since I got it in the 80's.

I got one with some blooms and no leaves, but with big, fat , full pseudobulbs filling the pot. I am thinking maybe to put into a bigger pot so it can make new growths???

It's very pretty, and how great it is that you've kept it going for all these years. Well done!

Lovely
An easy way to tell if you have aromatica or cochleata or one of the many yellow flowered deciduous Lycastes is L aromatica always has a fragrance of cinnamon. If it has a floral sweet fragrance without a cinnamon note, it is likely cochleata or saccata or one of the natural hybrids like x mitchelii. Telling the other yellow deciduous species apart is very difficult and beyond my skill set, though I do make guesses. Knowing where the Lycaste was collected helps, but most in the hobby have no collection information.

Beautifully grown. Lovely

Thanks Leo--then according to your wonderful info, it is most likely the cochleata as it has a lovely floral scent --no cinnamon.

Thanks guys, it'll add to my list of scented orchids the little bit of floral to differentiate.

(Got to make a thread about the list, I need input even if I have already about 4800 entries -note, in the latest ones it's not all cleaned up, I'm integrating them so I may be at 4200-4400 unique entries maybe a little more)

Back