Cymbidium lancifolium

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KyushuCalanthe

Just call me Tom
Reaction score
Kyushu, Japan; warm temperate/subtropical climate
Here's an unusual little Cymbidium species. This plant is found throughout much of southern Japan, but it is common nowhere. Although it said to be found in the surrounding mountains, I have yet to find one in the wild. Here's mine in flower now.

CymLancifoliumPTL.jpg
CymLancifoliumUPCLFLW.jpg

It is a small plant, standing only about 8" tall. I've grown it for about one year, and so far it seems pretty easy in this climate. It is in pure sphagnum, just like a Neofinetia. I keep it outside all year where it experiences the full brunt of the seasons including light freezes in winter.

A very appealing plant. Are these common in cultivation in Japan? Is there a cult following like for Neofinetia and the related Cymbidium goeringii?

Thanks for posting the pictures. Do you have full-frontal picture? The lip looks very interestingly marked.

very nice Cymb! I would not mind having this one next to my Neos and Sedireas :)

nice picture! :D

Great cym and lovely pics!!!! Does it get full sun, even in summer??? Any fragrance???

Hey guys, to answer some of your questions:

A very appealing plant. Are these common in cultivation in Japan? Is there a cult following like for Neofinetia and the related Cymbidium goeringii?

Thanks for posting the pictures. Do you have full-frontal picture? The lip looks very interestingly marked.

They are around, but no where near as commonly grown as C. goeringii, C. kanran, C. sinense, etc. This plant was bought alongside some others that had leave variegation in varying proportions - the more variegation, the higher the price. I got this little jewel for just the equivalent of $6 US!

I'll try to snap off a lip shot before the flowers fade. They can flower up to a couple times a year - late spring and again in late fall.

Great cym and lovely pics!!!! Does it get full sun, even in summer??? Any fragrance???
Sweet flowers and leaves. I was wondering about fragrance, also.

No sun on these at all. This is a woodland species, supposedly living in bamboo thickets. Fragrance is minimal to my nose, but different clones could smell stronger.

There are lots of strange Cymbidiums out there, very different than the florist shop hybrids. In Japan we have epiphytes with pendant flower stalks, leafless terrestrial saprophytes, truly dwarf sized ones, and one species (C. goeringii) even grows up to Hokkaido, a truly cold place in winter.

Back