IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Oraniopsis appendiculata gets planted

happypalms

I got these oraniopsis from plumtree pocket nursery a few weeks ago they have quality rare palm and trees with some very unique stock all in quality condition so I thought why not plant one of the oraniopsis in the ground a slow growing palm this one will definitely be getting some water attention under irrigation and some loving care 

IMG_4016.jpeg

IMG_4022.jpeg

IMG_4024.jpeg

IMG_4025.jpeg

• Like 5

5 hours ago, happypalms said:

I got these oraniopsis from plumtree pocket nursery a few weeks ago they have quality rare palm and trees with some very unique stock ... 

One of my favorite monotypic species. So extremely slow, yet with a fascinating biology and adaptability for survival.

Not super rare, but it is often ignored at sales and auctions as that one lone specimen on its own. Usually tucked in the back and passed up for other flashier palms. It is often sought after by genera collectors who want the additional genus. Also, as a new genus representative that can stay in a pot for a very long, long time.

Ryan

South Florida

In my always cool, humid microclimate this is the slowest growing species I have ever encountered.  I have one about 10 years old in a 1-gallon pot.  It is free to anyone who wants it, but no shipping, pick-up only at my place !  :winkie: 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

San Francisco, California

10 minutes ago, Darold Petty said:

In my always cool, humid microclimate this is the slowest growing species I have ever encountered.  I have one about 10 years old in a 1-gallon pot.  It is free to anyone who wants it, but no shipping, pick-up only at my place !  :winkie: 

Chuckle…I too am a very patient man, but your one gallon experience would have pushed even me over the limit. I’ve got a Ceroxylon alpinium that’s been in ground for about the same amount of time, it’s about 24” (.6m) high. If I were to dig it up, I’m sure it would die. Oy!

My O. appendiculata, on the other hand, despite not trunking yet, is a monster.

Tim

• Like 2

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

I planted one about that size 2 years ago.  It lingered and grew for awhile but our drought did it in last year.  

Tampa, Interbay Peninsula, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10A

Bokeelia, Pine Island, Florida, USA

subtropical USDA Zone 10B

I got one for Christmas 4 years ago and has been a good grower but a bug magnet 

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Palmarum said:

One of my favorite monotypic species. So extremely slow, yet with a fascinating biology and adaptability for survival.

Not super rare, but it is often ignored at sales and auctions as that one lone specimen on its own. Usually tucked in the back and passed up for other flashier palms. It is often sought after by genera collectors who want the additional genus. Also, as a new genus representative that can stay in a pot for a very long, long time.

Ryan

They are super slow and love water I have one in my garden that is 20 plus years old and is only about 4 feet tall but has been neglected for water now I water it as much as possible and it’s starting to put on some speed in growth but is rare still in my area 

7 hours ago, SubTropicRay said:

I planted one about that size 2 years ago.  It lingered and grew for awhile but our drought did it in last year.  

They are a water lover i have seen them growing on a creek bank virtually in the water where they where planted on a property in my area 

4 hours ago, John hovancsek said:

I got one for Christmas 4 years ago and has been a good grower but a bug magnet 

Well someone certainly knew of a good gift not really a bug magnet in garden never a leaf chewed 

8 hours ago, Darold Petty said:

They are slow 20 plus years to even look like getting a trunk in good growing condition will pick your one for free but customs in Australian might have something to say about imports 🤣

These ones where at plumtree pocket nursery they where planted in 1998 in a warm subtropical climate and no sign of a trunk yet 

IMG_3385.jpeg

IMG_3386.jpeg

IMG_3387.jpeg

IMG_3384.jpeg

• Like 3