IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Kentiopsis pyriformis

WaianaeCrider

Picked this up Friday at KF (for you O`ahu people).  Got it in the ground this morning.  Shade cloth in place.  In fact this whole terrace system is a mess of different pieces of shade cloth.  Can't wait till they come down in a year or so.

655864451_Kentiopsispyriformis-20220417_104657.thumb.jpg.33a168498c185339bd4e94d28653fa4b.jpg

20220417_110737.jpg

20220417_111053.jpg

• Like 7
  • Upvote 1

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL

Neat looking maroonish stems. These will push a colorful leaf wont they? Maybe its just certain variations. Should be a great looking palm anyway.

I have a few of these started from seed I got from Bill here on the board. They germinated quickly but have been slow in the seedling stage. Theses are almost 4 months old. 

FBCB2564-EACC-44AD-9AE2-F3FCC754388F.jpeg

• Like 4

Here’s my massive specimen. Gonna wait to throw it in the ground till next year. I got it last year as a strap leaf basically. You can already see the cool bronze color frond as it opens up. Gonna be epic in a short 10-15yrs. :greenthumb:

-dale

13E9DC8A-87E2-4B1A-9B09-5E8C4A6F95AF.jpeg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 96720 said:

How hardy are these compared to chambyronia 

Kentiopsis pyriformis is now Chambeyronia pyriformis. C. macrocarpa and C. pyriformis have similar cold hardiness. C. pyriformis is a fairly slow grower however. 

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

13 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

Kentiopsis pyriformis is now Chambeyronia pyriformis. C. macrocarpa and C. pyriformis have similar cold hardiness. C. pyriformis is a fairly slow grower however. 

Agreed. But it’s one of those palms that’s worth the wait I think. They are sloooow. 

-dale

24 minutes ago, Jim in Los Altos said:

WOW!  Ya mean I gotta make a new sign and move the picture in my data base?  LOL  Mahalo for the info.  How about the other Kentiopsis did they get moved?

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

1 hour ago, WaianaeCrider said:

WOW!  Ya mean I gotta make a new sign and move the picture in my data base?  LOL  Mahalo for the info.  How about the other Kentiopsis did they get moved?

Yes. I believe so. But mine will always be Kentiopsis Oliviformis and Kentiopsis Pyriformis. Nobody’s gonna tell me different :shaka-2:

-dale

• Like 2

Kentiopsis pyriformis start off slow, but speed up a bit as they grow.

Bob Burtscher has two specimens in Fullerton, near me, that are about 30 - 40 feet tall, planted in 1998 or thereabout, not sure about the size when planted. They are splendid! Trunks are about Archontophoenix sized (12" in diameter, more or less, about 18 - 24" at the base), with about 5 foot long crownshafts. The new leaves are 6 - 8 feet long and what can best be described as a brilliant bronze when they open, fading to green. They aren't upstaged at all by the bright red Chambey hookeri right near by.

(You kids go ahead and adopt all these new names, and lump everything together. They're still Kentiopsis to me . . . )

I got LOTS of seeds from Bob's plants, and they mostly grew, and I've got lots of liners, moving slowly along. I'd say they're as sturdy and reliable as C. hookeri and macrocarpa. My plant in the ground is now about 4 feet and picking up speed.

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Thanks for the info I bought 2 from Flouibunda and am curious about speed palms that grow slow are hard to recover if they get damaged!!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, 96720 said:

Thanks for the info I bought 2 from Flouibunda and am curious about speed palms that grow slow are hard to recover if they get damaged!!

Hmm. Be warned they might be dicey out in the desert; I'd give them a lot more shade.

• Upvote 1

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

6 hours ago, 96720 said:

Is it slower than macrocarpa I get 2 fronds per year?

Yes I have found them to be noticeably slower than Macrocarpa or Hookeri but based on what others have said like all Chambeyroni speed up some once trunking.

Edited by James B
  • Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, 96720 said:

I will plant it in the jungle it will never see the sun!!!

I always wonder how long to wait to remove shade cloth.  Reading about many palms they say it can take full sun when mature.  LOL  When is mature?  When it trunks or just a few years?  Mine usually get about 2 years sometimes less.  If they can't hack it then it's time for something else.  Palms are tough once their roots spread out.  I have a Sabal minor which to the best of my knowledge grows in swammpy southern states and here it grows in full sun w/an average of 25" a year from the skys.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

59 minutes ago, WaianaeCrider said:

I always wonder how long to wait to remove shade cloth.  Reading about many palms they say it can take full sun when mature.  LOL  When is mature?  When it trunks or just a few years?  Mine usually get about 2 years sometimes less.  If they can't hack it then it's time for something else.  Palms are tough once their roots spread out.  I have a Sabal minor which to the best of my knowledge grows in swammpy southern states and here it grows in full sun w/an average of 25" a year from the skys.

I’ve never used shade clothes but thought about it. If I did, my plan of attack would be moving the shade off the tree in the morning and putting it back on in the heat of the sun. Then slowly put the shade cloth on later and later in the day. 
This process is exactly why I don’t use them. It would take a lot of effort and be a real PITA. The other way would be rip it off like a bandaid in the winter and hope it’s good by summer. 
I’ve got a Dypsis Pembana I threw in full sun as a 2G and it doesn’t look well. Screw it……it’ll turn around. 

-dale

Just randomly scored this today. I already have a one in the ground for one year from a medium sized 5g. I just couldn’t pass it up, these are one of my favorites.C9DE4F59-8E66-4A9F-8835-132A003BA34D.thumb.jpeg.9998ab07c65af16fb8cc01d532078ab5.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Dusty CBAD said:

Just randomly scored this today. I already have a one in the ground for one year from a medium sized 5g. I just couldn’t pass it up, these are one of my favorites.C9DE4F59-8E66-4A9F-8835-132A003BA34D.thumb.jpeg.9998ab07c65af16fb8cc01d532078ab5.jpeg

Really dude??!?! Save some epic random deals for the rest of us. Jeez…. 

Congrats btw…

-dale

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Mandrew968 said:

One of the fastest new cal palms for me.

Interesting.  Perhaps a difference between growing them in Florida versus California?  K oliviformis, now C oliviformis has been by far the fastest of the bunch for me.  Burretiokentia hapala seems faster than C chambeyronia as well as my K (now C) pyriformis.  The pyriformis was slower in my garden than C chambeyronia while it survived.  My neighbor's King palm dropped a frond on it's crown in winter, and it never recovered from the experience.  I lost it to crown rot.  Back to the comment though, many species behave very differently in Florida than California.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

37 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Interesting.  Perhaps a difference between growing them in Florida versus California?  K oliviformis, now C oliviformis has been by far the fastest of the bunch for me.  Burretiokentia hapala seems faster than C chambeyronia as well as my K (now C) pyriformis.  The pyriformis was slower in my garden than C chambeyronia while it survived.  My neighbor's King palm dropped a frond on it's crown in winter, and it never recovered from the experience.  I lost it to crown rot.  Back to the comment though, many species behave very differently in Florida than California.

I agree with Tracy that this is one of the slowest palms I’ve seen in my yard. Clearly appreciates the more subtropical environment Florida has to offer over California. Other forms of NC palms: Marcrocarpa, Hookeri, and Oliviformis sail by Pyriformis in my garden.

Mine too was putting out a sad one leaf a year before it succumbed to some form of fungus and I removed it. 

They are great looking palms when they have a couple feet of trunk on them but space gets more and more limited in my garden each year so the competition is getting stiffer to make the cut.

41 minutes ago, Tracy said:

Tracy I agree Oliviformis is overall the fastest grower for me. We obviously have different climates as I am in a hot inland Mediterranean climate vs your cooler costal zone. In summer KO blows the other NC palms away but it is always the last to open it’s leaf coming out of winter. I have a massive new leaf on mine that still has not opened whereas all the Macrocarpa and Hookeri have opened their first leaves. Have you noticed a similar trend where it is the last to get started but by summer it starts really cranking?

I have 3 K. (C.) pyriformis I deep shade under a huge Spathodae campanulata (African Tulip tree). Time will tell if that was a good choice or not. Planted from 1-gal pots in January, 2019, I estimate they have tripled in height, still have a youthful appearance.  Not sure if that counts as slow; seems average to me. 
This was a very rough area, dense with weeds,  and remains subject to falling trees — I found a tree fall had pinned 2 fronds down and tweaked the #2 palm into a lean. Removed the log and propped up the palm with a big rock, and a week later you’d never guess anything had been amiss. 
Below, palm #2

B00B6050-7742-4216-A0AF-356D7B81B8DB.thumb.jpeg.0d36be3103b813bbdc7bbe355c66b624.jpeg

Palms #2 and #3 next

A9C640E1-99FD-4CFE-8E36-7E944C8E7065.thumb.jpeg.5e0738a5abfbb0d59c4a3a2589a12bca.jpeg

Palm #1

1A238491-78BE-49E8-968B-716326CC817C.thumb.jpeg.b0cc40e0cb35765dce5600b3d29d1204.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

1 hour ago, James B said:

Have you noticed a similar trend where it is the last to get started but by summer it starts really cranking?

Most of my New Caledonia's grow year round with the biggest spurt of growth occurring in the mid to late Autumn. Ko, now Co inclusive.

• Like 2

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

In dense shade does it effect the color of the new frond? I have a macrocarpa and the frond is kind of orange or do they change color with age?

2 hours ago, 96720 said:

In dense shade does it effect the color of the new frond? I have a macrocarpa and the frond is kind of orange or do they change color with age?

My Macrocarpa Waterlemon is salmon colored. It gets 1/2 day sun from noon on. My Hookeri is dark maroon and it’s in Full sun. Go figure….

-dale 

• Like 1

On 4/18/2022 at 3:08 PM, Billeb said:

I’ve never used shade clothes but thought about it. If I did, my plan of attack would be moving the shade off the tree in the morning and putting it back on in the heat of the sun. Then slowly put the shade cloth on later and later in the day. 
This process is exactly why I don’t use them. It would take a lot of effort and be a real PITA. The other way would be rip it off like a bandaid in the winter and hope it’s good by summer. 
I’ve got a Dypsis Pembana I threw in full sun as a 2G and it doesn’t look well. Screw it……it’ll turn around. 

-dale

You're really near the ocean, so too much sun isn't nearly the problem that it gets to be further inland.

For what it's worth, what I usually do if I'm in doubt about sun exposure is to take the plant, still in the pot, and put it where I want to plant it and watch closely. If it shows obvious signs of problems quickly, I acclimatize it while still in the pot, which is a helluva lot easier (most of the time).

• Like 5

8 hours ago, Billeb said:

My Macrocarpa Waterlemon is salmon colored. It gets 1/2 day sun from noon on. My Hookeri is dark maroon and it’s in Full sun. Go figure….

-dale 

10 hours ago, 96720 said:

That's an interesting question. I've got Chambey hookeri and macros all over the place, and I don't think the exposure makes that big of a difference. Some are just a bright red, or whatever color they are. The color does seem to last a bit longer in the shade, but some empirical evidence gathering is needed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, DoomsDave said:

That's an interesting question. I've got Chambey hookeri and macros all over the place, and I don't think the exposure makes that big of a difference. Some are just a bright red, or whatever color they are. The color does seem to last a bit longer in the shade, but some empirical evidence gathering is needed.

I would add the color seems particularly humidity related. Somewhere on here I posted a smaller macrocarpa that took a week or so to fully open. In that time, it went from a healthy SantaAna dry event to monsoonal drizzle.. Leaf was green at end and red at freshest opening.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

The part about humidity is interesting since I’m in the desert very dry it would make since not to have red fronds I might try putting out a mister to see if I can make it humid enough to change the color abit

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Finally got mine in the ground from floribunda. It’s a little tight, but still in a 24 inch or more space so I think it will be okay. 
Santa Ana, CA

0B677BF6-0238-4693-B3D3-BA4DC85D8E8C.jpeg

Edited by rizla023
  • Like 1