IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca oxycarpa

Pedro 65

Thanks to Bill Austin  for the seed and Mark Daish for germinating them and growing them on for me, your both  legends  :greenthumb:( my life was in turmoil then, not now, Im free, happy and healthy)

Anyway, enough blah, I planted a triple, the colour comes out as they get bigger as you can see, added a pic of Condapanna base and ring with Oxycarpas in the background and above  Vriesea Dark and Stormy which is the brom on the right of the Areca's.. .

Thanks for looking, and many thanks again Bill and Mark  :greenthumb:  Love the colour of these Areca;s :wub:      Pete

IMGP2972.thumb.JPG.4bd606dea0df5808de4d6 IMGP2970.thumb.JPG.5a3dba17c16314df1b7ca

IMGP2969.thumb.JPG.3d8061696c2db6318e097 IMGP2968.thumb.JPG.23c9947ebb295861ba1c4

IMGP2971.thumb.JPG.cd21d2575e3d18b1b5ed1 IMGP2973.thumb.JPG.aaaad8504ee8964732189

• Like 1
  • Upvote 6

WOW, that's one more Areca species I would like to grow.

Am I wrong if I think that, being a place for spontaneous Areca concinna and A. catechu, Doranakanda gardens are ok for a Areca collection?

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

These mini arecas are too cute.  Two of them just got their first rings and the trunks are just over 2 cm wide!  

IMG_0072.JPG

Edited by topwater
  • Upvote 4

7 hours ago, doranakandawatta said:

WOW, that's one more Areca species I would like to grow.

Am I wrong if I think that, being a place for spontaneous Areca concinna and A. catechu, Doranakanda gardens are ok for a Areca collection?

Philippe, they do very well at Nong Nooch  from the pics I see on Palmpedia so they would do very well in  Dorankanga gardens with your :greenthumb: thumb..    Pete

4 hours ago, topwater said:

These mini arecas are too cute.  Two of them just got their first rings and the trunks are just over 2 cm wide!  

IMG_0072.JPG

Very nice Don,:greenthumb:  thanks for sharing, did you grow them from seed or seedlings sent from Jeff if you dont mind me asking and whats your max low temp in winter.

Enjoy watching them get some awesome colour ..  Pete.

I bought them as seedlings from an internet vendor.  My place usually bottoms out at 30-35f, but my record low hit 25. :rant:  However, I have an indoor atrium where the bigger problem is summer heat as the temps can push 120f under the glass and some plants just melt.  A. vestiaria has been a real hard grow for me, A. macrocalyx probably the best of the ones I've tried thus far.  Your oxycarpa are stunning Pete, are they in full shade or do they see some sun?   Don

5 hours ago, topwater said:

I bought them as seedlings from an internet vendor.  My place usually bottoms out at 30-35f, but my record low hit 25. :rant:  However, I have an indoor atrium where the bigger problem is summer heat as the temps can push 120f under the glass and some plants just melt.  A. vestiaria has been a real hard grow for me, A. macrocalyx probably the best of the ones I've tried thus far.  Your oxycarpa are stunning Pete, are they in full shade or do they see some sun?   Don

Don , Ive planted them under 50% shade clothe , its 36c here today and only 40% humidity,, many /most palms  in the s/clothe section of the garden  wouldnt survive the full sun in Summer  here esp like today and the last 5 days, they may survive but get badly burnt..

Pete

Pete, those oxycarpa an absolute stunner mate, great score !!!!! 

That condo flying too, he's getting up there 

15 minutes ago, comic097 said:

Pete, those oxycarpa an absolute stunner mate, great score !!!!! 

That condo flying too, he's getting up there 

They are arent they Paul , very Basselinia like, they get more beautiful as the age , the Condo is gettn a Fat base n trunk too.

All good fun..

• 3 years later...

Wowzer!  Mine should look good in a year or two.

Steve

Born in the Bronx

Raised in Brooklyn

Matured In Wai`anae

I can't be held responsible for anything I say or do....LOL