IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Areca vestiaria woes

Missi

I feel like my Areca vestiaria maroon/red form is hardly growing. Anyone else find it extremely slow? I've had it a year and it hasn't really done much of anything :unsure: I'm not sure if I'm not caring for it correctly, it's a weak specimen or if this is normal.

Naples (inland), FL - technically 10a but more like 9b in the winter :hmm:

Crappy time of day to get pics but here are a couple. Spears look good, right? Just seems like they've just been tight spears forever. They don't pull out. P.S. It was beat to heck when I got it. I.e. the brown.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, topwater said:

Do you mean that healthy looking beauty has sat on that spear for one year without it opening?

Oh, it is healthy looking? I have no other experience with A. vestiaria. It hasn't had this size spear, necessarily, for a year but it's probably only put out one leaf since I've had it. As I talk it out, perhaps it is taking time adjusting from being beat up and shipped bare-rooted/repotted?

My goal is to get a conversation going on A. vestiaria (especially the red/maroon form) growth habits going. Whether in-ground or ppotted.

Missi, they can be slow when young and the fact it was traumatized is probably a consideration as well. It does look good though and will pick up speed when it gets a bit larger. Typically not a 'fast' palm, but a steady grower. 

I'll snap some photos and post in a wee bit.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Here are a few photos from the garden. I had a small one like yours in the picture, but I must have given it away. The ones in my garden either sucker like crazy or

they remain solitary. Not too much in between. 

I have both orange and maroon.

Tim

P1030727.jpg

P1030728.jpg

P1030732.jpg

P1030733.jpg

• Upvote 7

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

My only experience with A. vestiaria :wub:has mostly been killing them in my atrium, several reds and oranges with one yellow to boot.  The other arecas (macrocalyx, oxycarpa, catechu dwarf) have been easy grows, vesties are fussy imho. That being said, they usually chug along pretty steadily, no way have I had one open two leaves in a year, and mine were all bare root web arrivals too. Yours really does look great, you need patience, which I sorely lack. Best advice I have is no direct sun, the red and yellow are total actinic wimps, oranges are tougher.  If it doesn't start growing, I would consult the potted palm gurus about soil, fertilizer, etc...

• Upvote 2

in my experience some healthy Palms not grow/ or just alive in a stage   for some unknown reasons,even if we give them all their requirements. i have experience with  pinanga and  red lipstick, and some other.

now i observe palm's leafing rate and remove the plant if not grow  normal growth rate

• Upvote 1

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles Missi as this is such a lovely palm I want everyone to grow it! I never tried it in a pot but consider both my two Maroons and my 36 Orange clumping trees to be easy and pretty fast.

In fact the only real issue I have is that apparently cows find them a delicacy!

Of course I am in a palm sweet spot in the mountains of Puerto Rico...

By the way Missi, I like what you have on the bottom of all your posts which is " I am here to learn!" 

Pardon my digression here.

Even though I have certainly jumped into the palm hobby/obsession with both feet, when I visit a collection or look at photos of mature palms I struggle to name them, when what I see day to day at my place are still many palms four inches to one foot tall.

A hint of trunk on ones I have actually planted as seedlings is still quite exciting for me. 

I liken it to seeing baby photos of humans and trying to match them with those of adults, yet many on this forum seem to be able to do so. So I too am "here to learn" and very much appreciate all the helpful advice and identification and support from so many of you! 

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

On 9/17/2016, 2:24:00, realarch said:

Missi, they can be slow when young and the fact it was traumatized is probably a consideration as well. It does look good though and will pick up speed when it gets a bit larger. Typically not a 'fast' palm, but a steady grower. 

I'll snap some photos and post in a wee bit.

Tim

Tim, thank you so much for your thoughts and taking and sharing photos of your beautiful palms! I'm keeping mine potted because our winters in inland Southwest Florida get chilly :crying: 

20 hours ago, topwater said:

My only experience with A. vestiaria :wub:has mostly been killing them in my atrium, several reds and oranges with one yellow to boot.  The other arecas (macrocalyx, oxycarpa, catechu dwarf) have been easy grows, vesties are fussy imho. That being said, they usually chug along pretty steadily, no way have I had one open two leaves in a year, and mine were all bare root web arrivals too. Yours really does look great, you need patience, which I sorely lack. Best advice I have is no direct sun, the red and yellow are total actinic wimps, oranges are tougher.  If it doesn't start growing, I would consult the potted palm gurus about soil, fertilizer, etc...

What do you think were the factors that killed yours? Is your atrium covered? I used to have it in a dark corner of my roofed lanai but have since moved it into a bright side hoping it wanted a bit more light but it certainly doesn't receive any kind of direct sun. Macrocalyx and catechu 'dwarf' (and now oxycarpa!) are on my wish list.

I sorely lack patience as well. The word generally isn't even in my vocabulary! :blink:

9 hours ago, Cindy Adair said:

I am so sorry to hear of your troubles Missi as this is such a lovely palm I want everyone to grow it! I never tried it in a pot but consider both my two Maroons and my 36 Orange clumping trees to be easy and pretty fast.

In fact the only real issue I have is that apparently cows find them a delicacy!

Of course I am in a palm sweet spot in the mountains of Puerto Rico...

By the way Missi, I like what you have on the bottom of all your posts which is " I am here to learn!" 

Pardon my digression here.

Even though I have certainly jumped into the palm hobby/obsession with both feet, when I visit a collection or look at photos of mature palms I struggle to name them, when what I see day to day at my place are still many palms four inches to one foot tall.

A hint of trunk on ones I have actually planted as seedlings is still quite exciting for me. 

I liken it to seeing baby photos of humans and trying to match them with those of adults, yet many on this forum seem to be able to do so. So I too am "here to learn" and very much appreciate all the helpful advice and identification and support from so many of you! 

Here in inland Southwest Florida, we get chilly winters with definite frosts and often freezes (though I didn't see a freeze last winter, thank goodness!), so I have to keep my tenders potted and in my roofed lanai for now. 

Cindy, I love to research, read and learn! I love to hear from others about my most passionate interests...my favorite species of plants and animals :wub: I also share your love of seeing seedlings grow and mature! It is like Christmas! Not much brings the joy of seeing the tender plants in our care flourish! I always take pictures of my young plants to compare growth throughout time. Definitely! 

I have one under the canopy outside (red form) and has been doing well in the last few months. Although it appears to be a total slug. Lack of humidity doesn't help either. It will be watching winter from my bedroom window :)

Edited by enigma99
  • Upvote 2

On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2016‎ ‎4‎:‎09‎:‎29‎, enigma99 said:

I have one under the canopy outside (red form) and has been doing well in the last few months. Although it appears to be a total slug. Lack of humidity doesn't help either. It will be watching winter from my bedroom window :)

Pics please! :D

Hi Missi, you are asking about one of my favorite palms. :)  I am in agreement with Tim, your palm appears to be making healthy progress under your care after being "beat to heck" when you got it.  Once they get going, they don't stop, that's for sure. I started with 36, most in 5-gal pots, so they were already beyond the current stage of your palm.  I'll bet the roots in that pot are really growing nicely, and in another year you'll have to pot it up.  It looks like Naples weather is fairly mild; in fact I think I saw some A. vestiaria growing in front of a cottage when I visited Naples in 2014.  Anyway, keeping the little one in a sheltered spot is a good idea for now.

I will try to post a pic from my phone...

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

This is my Areca vestiaria 'maroon' path in Hawaii, before weeding. :blush:  They flower and seed profusely, and I really enjoy all the colorful stages as they develop.

I had a problem with something chewing on the leaves, making them look really tattered, but with that under control they are finally growing out of it. If you look closely you can see the baby palms sprouting under the taller palms.

image.thumb.jpeg.9fd3d228acde348cc409d59ximage.thumb.jpeg.fb55aebb1b760e1ac8ca6f7

• Like 1
  • Upvote 10

Kim Cyr

All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

You want A. vesriaria's? Kim's got A. vesriaria's. No messing around in her garden.

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

3 hours ago, Kim said:

This is my Areca vestiaria 'maroon' path in Hawaii, before weeding. :blush:  They flower and seed profusely, and I really enjoy all the colorful stages as they develop.

I had a problem with something chewing on the leaves, making them look really tattered, but with that under control they are finally growing out of it. If you look closely you can see the baby palms sprouting under the taller palms.

image.thumb.jpeg.9fd3d228acde348cc409d59ximage.thumb.jpeg.fb55aebb1b760e1ac8ca6f7

These look so good. I have seen some in public areas -- shopping centers etc and the bottoms look a little different. Not sure what you even call those... they don't bother me, but are they cutting/cleaning them a little? Or is that just variation based on a number of factors.

3 hours ago, Kim said:

Ooooooh Heaven IS a place on Earth :wub: How absolutely lush a lovely, even with weeds (Who can keep up with weeds anyhow?! Not I!) You are so fortunate to reside in Hawaii!!

A couple observations on your Maroons...I thought they suckered more? Also...I had no idea they get such amazing stilt roots! I knew they got some but yours' are amazing! The Maroon seems to have more than the orange? May I ask, how old these are? They're just stunning and I appreciate you sharing them with me!!

Naples is fairly mild on the Gulf but inland it gets downright chilly. I am about 4 miles East of I-75, if you're familiar with Naples.

38 minutes ago, enigma99 said:

These look so good. I have seen some in public areas -- shopping centers etc and the bottoms look a little different. Not sure what you even call those... they don't bother me, but are they cutting/cleaning them a little? Or is that just variation based on a number of factors.

They best not be cutting them! Those roots are to DIE for!! :drool:

4 minutes ago, Missi said:

They best not be cutting them! Those roots are to DIE for!! :drool:

Here is the orange form and the stilt roots look a lot different. Maybe because the ground is harder and the tree doesn't need as much support? Or perhaps the red form is different? Interesting I think. 

600px-Areca_vestiarias_mall_hilo.jpg

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, enigma99 said:

Here is the orange form and the stilt roots look a lot different. Maybe because the ground is harder and the tree doesn't need as much support? Or perhaps the red form is different? Interesting I think. 

600px-Areca_vestiarias_mall_hilo.jpg

I find it interesting as well! I mentioned it in my reply to her post. Great minds must think alike :D

Derrick, I think you are correct, the ground is harder and there's not much soil left in this little planter. They get plenty of natural water and I imagine fertilizer from time to time.

Part of the reason too is that the palms are totally exposed in full blazing sun which I would think inhibit stilt root growth for these guys. The leaves always look a bit sunburned, but they still are a striking group of palms. Incidently, the building as of this week, is no longer there. Demolished and soon to be rebuilt in the same footprint. No clue at this point just what it will become. Thank goodness the palms, which were planted with the help of the Hawai'i Island Palm Society's direction many years ago, still remain. 

Tim

• Upvote 3

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

1 hour ago, Missi said:

Ooooooh Heaven IS a place on Earth :wub: How absolutely lush a lovely, even with weeds (Who can keep up with weeds anyhow?! Not I!) You are so fortunate to reside in Hawaii!!

A couple observations on your Maroons...I thought they suckered more? Also...I had no idea they get such amazing stilt roots! I knew they got some but yours' are amazing! The Maroon seems to have more than the orange? May I ask, how old these are? They're just stunning and I appreciate you sharing them with me!!

Thank you, Missi! I purposely selected single-trunked specimens to line the path, though two of them later began suckering.  It's a toss up with A. vestiaria -- no matter the seed source, some will be maroon, some orange; some will be single, some suckering.  If you want maroon, you have to select the actual plant with the maroon leaf, not just gather the seed, or so I'm told.

1 hour ago, enigma99 said:

Tim is probably correct in his observation about the soil and also the sun exposure.  You see all that green moss growing on the trunks?  They are shaded and we get tons of rain -- always wet. The rockier the soil, the more prominent the stilt roots, I believe, and these are planted on lava rock.

I really should find a photo showing them after I have weeded, picked up the dead fronds, and removed some of the moss. :D This is like a photo of a nice kitchen with dirty dishes in the sink. :rolleyes::blush:

Tim -- is that the former Hilo Hattie's that was torn down?

• Upvote 2

Kim Cyr

Areca vestiaria is a very attractive palm with lots of color, and especially the maroon "variety" and one of my favorites. I planted 242 of them in a previous garden (yep, 242! :D ). Genetically they are actually all the same. From one and the same seed batch you'll get both the orange and the maroon "varieties". If the parent is maroon, the majority of the seedlings will be maroon, and similar for the orange. Also, from one and the same seed batch there will be singles as well as doubles, triples, etc. Here are a few of the 242 I planted. And I also have a few in my present garden... :mrlooney: I should add that in my experience vestiarias will develop significant stilt roots when grown in rocky conditions (i.e. minimum soil) but will develop "normal" root systems if grown in deep soil.

2010-08-21 013.JPG

2010-08-21 015.JPG

• Upvote 5

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

Ok, I officially withdraw my photos. Compared to Kim's and those from Bo's old garden, mine are totally wimped out. :P

Tim

• Upvote 1

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Like this thread a lot, I am trying to find some now. Planted some bananas for shade today, now I got a spot for some of those beauties. Can't wait.

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2016‎ ‎5‎:‎32‎:‎08‎, realarch said:

Ok, I officially withdraw my photos. Compared to Kim's and those from Bo's old garden, mine are totally wimped out. :P

Tim

Nooooo!! The more pics, the better! It's not a competition and now that I look at your pics again...they also have the awesome roots going on! When/If mine starts trunking, I'm totally going to put it in rocky potting media!

Okay, I am crawling off into a corner to cut my thighs.  Vesties croak every time I try to grow one.

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

On September 20, 2016 at 11:22:01 AM, Kim said:

Oh Hawaii.  I long for Hawaii, or at least the climate.  It's a long way back to see the FAM.  But the true topical climate would be wonderful.

Land O Lakes FL, a suburb on the North Side of Tampa, FL

Summers are great, 90f/32c in the day & 70f/21c at night with plentiful rain & sun

Winters are subtropical with occasional frosts and freezes. Tropical cyclones happen.

We have a few Royal palms in the warm microclimates but Coconuts freeze.

I am a Kayaker, Hiker, Bicyclist, and amateur Photographer that loves the outdoors.  

Well, my A. vestiaria must have heard us talking about her because her longest spear just started to feather open at the tip! :yay:

Let's talk more A. vestiaria, guys!

She just needed some love and attention. :)

• Upvote 1

Kim Cyr

6 hours ago, Kim said:

She just needed some love and attention. :)

:wub::wub::wub: I'm so glad she gave me this indication that what I'm currently doing is making her happy! Pretty much over the moon about it!