IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Geonoma conduruensis

caixeta

56df672930573_Itacar077.thumb.JPG.4013c956df67547ba79_Itacar079.thumb.JPG.7af08156df67b2289e8_Itacar100.thumb.JPG.d3b6a856df67e83c1af_Itacar101.thumb.JPG.ecb66656df684437bc4_Itacar104.thumb.JPG.dc5d61Wonderful Geonoma conduruensis found at Farm São Miguel , located next to the Sierra State  Park Conduru , municipality of Itacaré , south of Bahia. Marvellous plant leathery and red leaves when new.56df661e04b4e_Itacar070.thumb.JPG.99ee1a56df666122e39_Itacar071.thumb.JPG.6deb4156df66a71c61f_Itacar072.thumb.JPG.80678f56df66e0b77e7_Itacar074.thumb.JPG.a7bb01

• Like 2
  • Upvote 12

Caixeta

Yeah! They are surely beautiful!

Thanks for sharing these pictures with us!

5 minutes ago, caixeta said:

New seedlings.56df69074165e_Itacar042.thumb.JPG.09c50956df6984ab666_Itacar026.thumb.JPG.711f70

Beautiful, do you want my address? I want some

Edited by foxtail

Rio_Grande.gif

3 minutes ago, foxtail said:

Linda, você quer o meu endereço? Eu quero alguns

They arenot mine , are a friend.

• Upvote 1

Caixeta

nice indeed!!!

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Mauricio if you had not said that they are Geonoma, I from the pictures, I thought they were  chamaedorea

GIUSEPPE

Very beautiful.

Almost like a smaller Machrostachys var atrovirens.

I suspect that they would be an easier grow however.

Steve

Wow! This is what I want my tiny one in Puerto Rico to look like someday!! Thanks so much for all the great photos to brighten up a few moments on free wi fi!

Cindy Adair

4 hours ago, sgvcns said:

Very beautiful.

Almost like a smaller Machrostachys var atrovirens.

I suspect that they would be an easier grow however.

Steve

I'm only using one large juvenile of these for comparison, but it projects hyperfragility in side-by-side greenhouse cultivation with flowering Ecuador-source atrovirens. Knock on wood, mine is still  ostensibly healthy but has that look about it that looks like it's just looking for a reason to die for no apparent reason. They are two very different plants when in hand.

Andrew Henderson sunk this into G. pauciflora in his recent monograph on the genus. Like the macrostachys-atrovirens decision, a bit controversial to people who are growing live plants.

J

Yow!

The best part is, they'll at least stand a fighting chance here in California!

More more more!

Let's keep our forum fun and friendly.

Any data in this post is provided 'as is' and in no event shall I be liable for any damages, including, without limitation, damages resulting from accuracy or lack thereof, insult, or lost profits or revenue, claims by third parties or for other similar costs, or any special, incidental, or consequential damages arising out of my opinion or the use of this data. The accuracy or reliability of the data is not guaranteed or warranted in any way and I disclaim liability of any kind whatsoever, including, without limitation, liability for quality, performance, merchantability and fitness for a particular purpose arising out of the use, or inability to use my data. Other terms may apply.

Superb

Sirinhaém beach, 80 Km south of Recife - Brazil

Tropical oceanic climate, latitude 8° S

Temperature extremes: 25 to 31°C

2000 mm average rainfall, dry summers

6 hours ago, stone jaguar said:

I'm only using one large juvenile of these for comparison, but it projects hyperfragility in side-by-side greenhouse cultivation with flowering Ecuador-source atrovirens. Knock on wood, mine is still  ostensibly healthy but has that look about it that looks like it's just looking for a reason to die for no apparent reason. They are two very different plants when in hand.

Andrew Henderson sunk this into G. pauciflora in his recent monograph on the genus. Like the macrostachys-atrovirens decision, a bit controversial to people who are growing live plants.

J

J

There goes another generalisation that Brazilian palms are tougher and easier to grow in Brisbane.

Mt G "atrovirens" gets brown tips every winter in my shadehouse.

I haven't got the cojones to plant it in the ground

Steve

Hahaha, Steve. Less cojones, more votive candles I'd say.

Put a few atrovirens in the ground at a friend's in Guatemala under fully wet tropical conditions a few years ago and they're fine. The pair that I have here in SF are greenhoused with background heater on overnight and on cool days, and both starting to push multiple infls. Inflorescences different from those shown on Putumayo plants. They definitely benefit from additional of chelated iron drenches to their nutritional regimen, like many palms from lateritic soils.

Am completely loathe to "touch" my conduruensis" until it's steamy hot here in July. Like I said, in spite of looking good right now, I know the lad's just aching to hand in his lunch pail.

Cheers,

J

Caixeta:

Thank you so much for posting all these wonderful photos of all these rare and showy Brazilian palms. From my perspective, it is particularly delightful to have another very clear set of images in situ of this sp. in particular to add to those that Jeff Marcus made available some years back. The seedling beds look fantastic! I hope you were able to obtain material to grow in your own collection. This is surely one of the most striking and desirable Neotropical palms.

Ciao,

J

• 6 months later...

I finally got around to photographing one of my two, both far from my house.

Not as black and certainly not as big! as the ones in habitat, but I will hope for the best. So far no trouble in my shady wet jungle. 

That's a terrestrial orchid next to it.

Geonomas seem to like it here!

DSCN4243.thumb.jpg.0c570c32d1eb462551fb4

• Upvote 3

Cindy Adair

Just curious, what elevation levels are these found at?

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

9 hours ago, Jeff Searle said:

Só por curiosidade, o que os níveis de elevação são estes encontrada em?

Approximately 70m altitude in the understoty of rain forest , municipality of Itacaré in southern Bahia.

Caixeta

2 hours ago, caixeta said:

Approximately 70m altitude in the understoty of rain forest , municipality of Itacaré in southern Bahia.

Wow! Low elevation, should do well for us if I could ever get some seeds. Hint-hint. Lol. Thanks again, much appreciated!

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

On ‎3‎/‎9‎/‎2016‎ ‎8‎:‎02‎:‎54‎, stone jaguar said:

...but has that look about it that looks like it's just looking for a reason to die for no apparent reason.

Nice one, J, caused me to chuckle a bit.

Postscript: actually managed to save it from a (clearly unsurprising) late spring catastrophe. Seems fine now  a few months following radical intervention. Even taking into account its current Quasimodo-like aspect, older leaves look more akin to Caixeta's than to Cindy's in spite of my assumption that we obtained our plants from the same source.

J

• 7 years later...
On 9/18/2016 at 6:31 PM, Cindy Adair said:

I finally got around to photographing one of my two, both far from my house.

Not as black and certainly not as big! as the ones in habitat, but I will hope for the best. So far no trouble in my shady wet jungle. 

That's a terrestrial orchid next to it.

Geonomas seem to like it here!

DSCN4243.thumb.jpg.0c570c32d1eb462551fb4

I ended up with just one on my forever farm and a rhino beetle almost killed it by taking a big bite out of the stem.

IMG_8461.thumb.jpeg.04f819a127886fc8494f56308443f4bf.jpeg

IMG_8463.thumb.jpeg.fbac5f0a640fc616f79c399bbbbe8b78.jpeg

IMG_8464.thumb.jpeg.08ba3b999902e9454ed98e026e2e4343.jpeg

Yet it healed over with only an indented area and today is trying to flower. 

That was a surprise when my finger touched the stem to move the netting. 

IMG_8465.thumb.jpeg.b5342b581eba5662e016cced13c92ed6.jpeg

Sorry for the bad lighting but the newest leaves are getting darker although far from black. 

At some point I lost the label and thought it might be G. pauciflora or maybe they are the same?

• Like 6
  • Upvote 2

Cindy Adair