IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Ravenea krociana and robustior

Pedro 65

A few pics of Ravenea krociana and robustior growing here and "yes" robustior and a dypsis canaliculata where planted too close 2gthr but they missed their homeland , so I planted them on deep red sloped soil close 2gther. ( just like home in Mad) :)

Ravenea krociana and robustior are very very similar and sometimes wrongly tagged in Botanic gardens etc, the stand out difference is that Robustiors leaflets are "thinner" and having grown/growing both Krokiana is a faster grower than Robustior.

Krociana is the "Big" 1 in the pics ( 1st 2 pics) and sorry just showing the base, I took pics of whole palm but not clear enough, I will take get a pic/pics of the whole palm and post, till then there are "old" pics on Palmpedia. :)

Added pic of looking down @ the red spear on the canaliculata close to robustior.

Pete

post-5709-0-90710100-1424498983_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-74428300-1424499049_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-51947200-1424499129_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-55174600-1424499200_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-63670500-1424499266_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-59866600-1424499756_thumb.jp

Pete , Those canaliculata look great , how old do you think they might be . I've got a couple of small ones , so it would be interesting to see how long before they get that size . :drool: Richie

Pretty nice Pete, outstanding color. The shoe really puts things in perspective.

Tim

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

Richie and Tim, after your comments I should have left the canaliculata out of this :) I was focusing on Ravenea. :) Richie, canaliculata's are the "fastest" of the Big Dypsis here by a country mile, plenty of pics on Palmpedia to look at too.

Since you bought up the Dypsis touted Canaliculata, they grow "so fast" for Big Dypsis here compered to "all" the rest that I feel it "may" be a hybrid, especially the last lot we got as very small plants in 4 or 5" which are a "lighter" green, have quite a bit of yellow in the rachis and petioles ( pic 1649/50), it "doesnt" matter "what" Dypsis it is coz its fast n good looking. :)

Pete

post-5709-0-78652600-1424506802_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-58637100-1424506867_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-52883800-1424506926_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-12073900-1424506982_thumb.jp

Ravenea are monsters Pete !

Old Beach ,Hobart
Tasmania ,Australia. 42 " south
Cool Maritime climate

Stunning palms Pete, all of them!!! :)

R. krociana is a favorite!

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

Thanks for posting Pete. You hardly ever see the R. robustior around here. I have a number of seedlings I am trying, but are slow when young. Pete, do you know approx age of the ones you have in the pics?

Wow Pete, that krociana is really something. How big was it when you planted it? Was it a "heeled" Ravenea?

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

R. krociana does is a heeled Ravenea and a pretty robust one thankfully

''To try,is to risk failure.......To not try,is to guarantee it''

More gems from Pete's magic garden, love it! :)

Kim Cyr

Between the beach and the bays, Point Loma, San Diego, California USA
and on a 300 year-old lava flow, Pahoa, Hawaii, 1/4 mile from the 2018 flow
All characters  in this work are fictitious. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead, is purely coincidental.

Awesome pictures Pete!! Your garden always shines :greenthumb::drool:

Carlsbad, California Zone 10 B on the hill (402 ft. elevation)

Sunset zone 24

Great look Pedro, love to see the garden for real some day, I think I've said that a few times already. :)

Happy Gardening

Cheers,

Wal

Queensland, Australia.

Wow, those are stunning, Pete. :drool::drool::drool:

Jim in Los Altos, CA  SF Bay Area 37.34N- 122.13W- 190' above sea level

zone 10a/9b

sunset zone 16

300+ palms, 90+ species in the ground

Las Palmas Design

Facebook Page

Las Palmas Design & Associates

Elegant Homes and Gardens

Thanks everyone for your comments, very kind, thanks. :) Ravenea krociana and robustior are true "ancient Giants" in the Palm world and I love watching them grow here in the garden.

Once the fronds/leaves are 4ft long they really take off , far more so Krokiana which grows at a much faster rate, our Krokiana was planted in 1995 with largest leaf around 3ft, I got Robustior seedlings @ at same time and Maria's mix back then had a lot of clay in the mix which kept some "alive" here as they where left with little care for far too long, so in saying that, if I had cared for the R's right from the start the pictured R would certainly be larger and I would have more than 2 on their way up n out. :)

Ive lost a few beautiful Krokiana's here where the drainage wasnt too good in a very wet year.

Pics below of bottom "half" and nearly all of Krokiana with a .9mtr mattock/pick @ base and more pics of Robustior showing its "very uprightness".

Edit..Jake, just saw yr comment, it was a real pleasure having You, Steph and Liam visit last week, bummer it was so short.

Pete

post-5709-0-23669600-1424565242_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-22921800-1424565394_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-39423200-1424565518_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-32392200-1424567692_thumb.jp

Very neat palms, Pete. Has anyone figured out which species 'giant' falls into? Mine is quite slow but is not at the 4 foot leaf mark like you said...

Very neat palms, Pete. Has anyone figured out which species 'giant' falls into? Mine is quite slow but is not at the 4 foot leaf mark like you said...

Thanks Andrew, I think so too, here's another Ravenea, "not sure" ( think Lakatra) but gotta love the "back of the rachis" which looks like polished wood grain, the petioles "alone" are around 3mtrs and its a very steady grower, hope Bo or Bill can chime in about this 1 as Bill would have it for sure and Bo would have this in his old garden. :)

Pete

post-5709-0-04951000-1424725749_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-97677400-1424725791_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-00105900-1424725847_thumb.jp

Pete great garden shot that first one is.

Len

Vista, CA (Zone 10a)

Shadowridge Area

"Show me your garden and I shall tell you what you are."

-- Alfred Austin

Pete great garden shot that first one is.

I concure... but any shot of Pete's garden is cherrished in my eyes.

Beautiful! Only Rav. I currently have in the ground is a decent lakatra.. :)

Zone 10a at best after 2007 AND 2013, on SW facing hill, 1 1/2 miles from coast in Oceanside, CA. 30-98 degrees, and 45-80deg. about 95% of the time.

"The great workman of nature is time."   ,  "Genius is nothing but a great aptitude for patience."

-George-Louis Leclerc de Buffon-

I do some experiments and learning in my garden with palms so you don't have to experience the pain! Look at my old threads to find various observations and tips!

Thanks Len, Andrew and Dan, its funny coz when I look at the below pic you guys a talkn about, I see the lawn needs mown, and its even way longer now as its too wet there for the ride on. :) Bill Sanford ,pls post a pic of yr Lakatra when you feel snap happy :)

Pete

post-5709-0-92237600-1425029759_thumb.jp

Funny you say that Pete. I am trying to stop myself from looking at everything in my garden that's "un-done" in my eyes. Seems like I'm the only one who notices. When I look at yours however, I don't see as much as a blade of grass out of place. You must have better help. My boys are uninspired lads when it comes to yard work.

Bret

Bret

Coastal canyon area of San Diego

"In the shadow of the Cross"

Hi Pete, I think I might have some photos mixed up, please chek for me and let me know, thanks a bunch, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Funny you say that Pete. I am trying to stop myself from looking at everything in my garden that's "un-done" in my eyes. Seems like I'm the only one who notices. When I look at yours however, I don't see as much as a blade of grass out of place. You must have better help. My boys are uninspired lads when it comes to yard work.

Bret

Bret, Im pretty much the lone ranger with the gardens here as its "my" Zen, my sons will help if asked but they usually too busy in their own world :)

Ed, Im pretty sure post 18 is Latisecta "not" Lakatra as I wrote above, hoping Bo or Bill Austin would chime in on their thoughts, it was just Rav sp when I bought it.

Pete

Bret

Bret, Im pretty much the lone ranger with the gardens here as its "my" Zen, my sons will help if asked but they usually too busy in their own world :)

Ed, Im pretty sure post 18 is Latisecta "not" Lakatra as I wrote above, hoping Bo or Bill Austin would chime in on their thoughts, it was just Rav sp when I bought it.

Pete

Hi Pete, I just made a mistake there, there are two photos in both R. robustor and R. krokiana, that are the sme, they have broms at the bottom, and the photos are right next to each other, thanks, Ed

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Hi Pete, I think I might have some photos mixed up, please chek for me and let me know, thanks a bunch, Ed

Hey Pete, here's the tree in question, thanks Ed

post-3109-0-91715200-1425283554_thumb.jp

post-3109-0-81192100-1425283572_thumb.jp

MOSQUITO LAGOON

Oak_Hill.gif

Hey Pete, here's the PALM :) in question, thanks Ed

Krociana Ed.