IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Terrific TACCA. Flowers .aka Bat Plant

Pedro 65

Tacca integrifolia..common name Bat plant because of its Bat like Flowers which are very large..These love very very wet areas of your garden. :) Pete

post-5709-0-14583600-1362286355_thumb.jp

post-5709-0-88093900-1362286437_thumb.jp

Flowers just don't get any more weird, but wonderful than these! No care needed if they like where they are. The large leaves are a nice contrast with surrounding ferns and palms for me. Beautiful Pete!

Cindy Adair

Cindy, yes the flowers are very wonderful and the great thing about their weird look for a flower is that even people not into plants "all stop" , then look and ask "wow, whats that"...everytime its in flower..Flowering has only just begun and 15 came out last year so the numbers should be a little up as each year the plant puts on more growth..No doubt you would have these in PR Cindy ? :)

Greg, these like it continually very moist to do well, ours is in the Licuala garden which is just that with 50% shadecloth above as the very soft huge leaves like protection from the sun. :) Pete

Very nice, Pete. I love Tacca. I have three species growing quite well here in Miami: T. integrifolia (white bat plant), T. chantrieri (black bat plant; this one self seeds, usually popping up in potted plants), and T. palmatifida (common name?). Of the three, I have noticed that the black needs the most constant water, whereas the white has done surprisingly well during our very dry winter this year.

I love these as well. I just sold out of all my 1 gallon size this weekend at the sale. They were the black. The only problem with these here is the snails. They love them and can be quite a problem.

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

Thanks Jody and Jeff, Im yet to plant any Black Bats, Id like some beside the White..Jody, I havnt heard of Tacca palmatafida so if you can post any pics Im very keen to view and having a name Palmatafida makes me more curious. :) Pete

They are a great ground moisture indicator too...when they wilt it is time to water!

Daryl

Gold Coast, Queensland Latitude 28S. Mild, Humid Subtropical climate. Rainfall - not consistent enough!

I've yet to see one growing well in California.

Yeah, I was given one two years ago and it hasn't done much but sprout a couple of leaves.

Yes Pete, I have 6 of these in a shady area with Nutmeg and Cacao trees plus shade loving orchids and palms of course. Here's a link to some photos and an old thread http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/26107-white-bat-flower/?hl=%2Bwhite+%2Bbat+%2Bflower .

I had thought 3 of mine were white and 3 were black, but am not disappointed. I've seen the black bat for sale at a nearby weekly agricultural fair in Puerto Rico so will add those when I can.

I agree that even those who are not enthralled by Lipstick palms seem to like these! I had one for several years in a pot in my Virginia greenhouse. It bloomed once, but was taking up a lot of space with its large leaves so eventually I gave it away.

In Puerto Rico I have NEVER watered them, but picked a microclimate with their preferences in mind. Never fertilized them either.

I hope to collect seed if I'm ever there at the right time as there are other spots on my farm that could use such a nice high groundcover and I'm sure others would want some seeds.

Cindy Adair

Yes Pete, I have 6 of these in a shady area with Nutmeg and Cacao trees plus shade loving orchids and palms of course. Here's a link to some photos and an old thread http://www.palmtalk.org/forum/index.php?/topic/26107-white-bat-flower/?hl=%2Bwhite+%2Bbat+%2Bflower .

I had thought 3 of mine were white and 3 were black, but am not disappointed. I've seen the black bat for sale at a nearby weekly agricultural fair in Puerto Rico so will add those when I can.

I agree that even those who are not enthralled by Lipstick palms seem to like these! I had one for several years in a pot in my Virginia greenhouse. It bloomed once, but was taking up a lot of space with its large leaves so eventually I gave it away.

In Puerto Rico I have NEVER watered them, but picked a microclimate with their preferences in mind. Never fertilized them either.

I hope to collect seed if I'm ever there at the right time as there are other spots on my farm that could use such a nice high groundcover and I'm sure others would want some seeds.

Thanks Cindy for the link to your thread which has many great pics, to all that have never seen Tacca in flower the thin white whisker like tassles that hang down, hang down for a good " 3 Feet".

If anyone has Tacca flowers to post..Please post..Thanks..Pete :)

Here ya go, Pete. The flower is not as spetacular as T. integrifolia or T. chantrieri, but you can see from the shape of the leaf why it is called T. palmatifida.

post-1566-0-88955500-1362484412_thumb.jp post-1566-0-42591300-1362484500_thumb.jp post-1566-0-30160800-1362485637_thumb.jp

Here are a couple photos of my white bat flowering last year:

post-1566-0-39451200-1362484552_thumb.jp post-1566-0-30991900-1362484570_thumb.jp post-1566-0-16836200-1362484585_thumb.jp

My black bat is not flowering now, but it does have some seed pods on it:

post-1566-0-36503600-1362485658_thumb.jp

And here are some of the volunteers that have popped up from different batches of seed from the black bat:

post-1566-0-36661000-1362485692_thumb.jp post-1566-0-00331600-1362485709_thumb.jp

Jody

Here ya go, Pete. The flower is not as spetacular as T. integrifolia or T. chantrieri, but you can see from the shape of the leaf why it is called T. palmatifida.

attachicon.gifTacca palmatifida 1.JPG attachicon.gifTacca palmatifida 2.JPG attachicon.gifTacca palmatifida 3.JPG

Here are a couple photos of my white bat flowering last year:

My black bat is not flowering now, but it does have some seed pods on it:

And here are some of the volunteers that have popped up from different batches of seed from the black bat:

Jody

Thanks for all the great shots Jody, yes the name Palmatifida is very apt, I very much look fwd to growing the Black Bats from seed. :) Pete

At least 2 Taccas that look very much like Amorphophallus , one leontapetaloides is a native .

And another from Madagascar , has been called 'multifida' but I recently found that is incorrect .

One of the best specimens I have ever seen was grown by John Farrington at his show garden near Babinda. post-354-0-24703900-1362614086_thumb.jpg

John is pretty big bloke 2m easily .

post-354-0-84332400-1362614132_thumb.jpg

post-354-0-83337300-1362614187_thumb.jpg

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

At least 2 Taccas that look very much like Amorphophallus , one leontapetaloides is a native .

And another from Madagascar , has been called 'multifida' but I recently found that is incorrect .

One of the best specimens I have ever seen was grown by John Farrington at his show garden near Babinda. attachicon.gifwhite-bat-JF-350.jpg

John is pretty big bloke 2m easily .

attachicon.gifImg_1314.jpg

Looks like ours :)

Hard to find Jody .. will keep you in mind if I get seed set .

Not looking good this year.

Michael in palm paradise,

Tully, wet tropics in Australia, over 4 meters of rain every year.

Home of the Golden Gumboot, its over 8m high , our record annual rainfall.

Tacca leontopetaloides is very common and widespread, but the inflorescence is very unremarkable. It's quite variable, there's a broad leaflet form and a narrow leaflet form. The broad leaflet ones tend to become bigger plants with inflorescences 2 metres or over.

A broad leaflet group with inflorescences near 2 metres tall

post-4226-0-59730800-1362658737_thumb.jp

The unremarkable inflorescence

post-4226-0-91609100-1362658792_thumb.jp

Broad leaflet plant

post-4226-0-47184100-1362658864_thumb.jp

Another broad leaflet plant

post-4226-0-87857200-1362658978_thumb.jp

Narrow leaflet plant

post-4226-0-57064400-1362659069_thumb.jp

Both leaflet forms are interesting. In fact, the narrow form looks a little like Bowenia. Any seeds would be greatly appreciated.

your Taccas are fantastic!

ours is Tacca Chantrieri:

post-6735-0-31148800-1363113999_thumb.jp

regards

Philippe

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka