IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

Is this Clinostigma harlandii?

fan palm

Hi all, was given this palm by a friend. He seems to think that it is a new guinea sp.(he grew from seed). I reckon it looks alot like a clinostigma sp. but the only one from new guinea has stilt roots? so maybe he has it wrong? It does seem to have an upright growth habit and every new leaf is much bigger than the last. so does anyone have an idea so i can find an appropriate spot for him?

cheers

Harry

DSCF1726_zps59c503a9.jpg

Harry no clinostigmas come from PNG...but...the" Largest Clinostigma" that has stilt roots at a very early age is C gronophyllum from the Solomon Islands which is a "True Tropical Palm' which is all good for you..tried some here but as soon as winter started it was gone...Your Clinostigma may very well be one of the others I just 'jumped the gun' since you said it was from png and has stilt roots already...Whatever Clino it is plant it in "Full sun".. Pete :)

ive been planting Harlandii seedlings ( 6" high) in Full sun and continual moisture here and they "love it', I got the seed 16 mths ago..

gday Pete, mine does'nt have stilt roots. Apparently there is a clinostigma from New guinea (well an island of...) - Clinostigma collegarum which does. So i reckon my mate has it wrong. does mine look like your harlandii? I'll get a pic of the leaves.

cheers

gday Pete, mine does'nt have stilt roots. Apparently there is a clinostigma from New guinea (well an island of...) - Clinostigma collegarum which does. So i reckon my mate has it wrong. does mine look like your harlandii? I'll get a pic of the leaves.

cheers

i learnt something 'new again' today :) thanks Harry..I just looked it up and yes its from New Britain which lies between PNG and Solomon Islands..The Hawaiians will be able to tell you "what" Clino yours is since they "grow them all" there and my largest are only 1ft at present. :) Pete

haha no worries mate, thank google. Hopefully the Hawaiian's can help cause i have nothing to compare to. For some reason clinostigmas dont show up here too often. I'll have to ask Arden next time i'm up in Cairns.

cheers

I am looking forward to seeing pics of Climostigma since these palms are my dream:
When will I be able to plant Clinostigma canopy in Doranakandawatta (Sri Lanka)?

Which one? All of them?
I just start with seeds from RPS, brought to Sri Lanka (in the good hands of Thabit Suby), but I can't wait!

Thanks to all Clinostigma owners for showing nice pics to make me jealous!

regards

5809129ecff1c_P1010385copie3.JPG.15aa3f5

Philippe

Jungle Paradise in Sri Lanka

Well, I have become a Hawaiian, so let me give it a go.

Most mature Clinostigmas are similar vegetatively, so one needs various clues. One would be the fruits, which are different shapes and colors. C. ponapense fruits are unique, for instance, although there are other species' fruits that I have never seen. Then, different species change from entire to pinnate leaves at different stages of their development. C. warburgii (samoense) leaves remain entire till the plant is quite large. My C. ponapense seedlings are 4 to 5 ft tall and still have entire leaves. On the other hand, my C. harlandiis turned pinnate when fairly small, but I don't now recall the exact size. As for stilt roots, I think the palms need some size before they develop, but I will check my potted harlandiis later to check this out. I have given away the last of my warburgiis in pots.

Mike Merritt

Big Island of Hawaii, windward, rainy side, 740 feet (225 meters) elevation

165 inches (4,200 mm) of rain per year, 66 to 83 deg F (20 to 28 deg C) in summer, 62 to 80 deg F (16.7 to 26.7 Deg C) in winter.

i just picked up two clinostigma savoryanum a week ago from KW palms. They are 4ft tall and each one has its first pinnate leaf and they look just like the one in the picture.they are 5gal. looks like yours is starting to push itself out of the pot possibly why the roots are showing. hard to tell from the pic

Not too much help here as I don't have C. harlandii, but your palm has similar characteristics to a young C.warburgii. Hard to get used to the name change and

C. samoense is still the moniker that everybody here uses. The C. samoense does hold it's entire leaves for a couple of years and is particularly spectacular as

a young palm. I also have a young C. savoryanum and a C. 'hawaiian hybrid'. I've forgotten the cross on the hybrid, so maybe Bo will chime in with his best guess.

The 'hawaiian hybrid' went pinnate very young as has the C. savoryanum and both already have the Clino look.

Here are a few pics.

A young C. samoense

post-1300-0-55740900-1360523571_thumb.jp post-1300-0-51040600-1360523573_thumb.jp

C. 'hawaiian hybrid' and C. savoryanum

post-1300-0-10601600-1360523643_thumb.jp post-1300-0-52656800-1360523645_thumb.jp

Tim

Hilo, Hawaii

thanks for the replies and pics everyone! Tim those clinos look unreal! sooo can this fella go into an exposed spot or should i give it a bit of shade? its about 4.5 foot high, i have no experience with this palm. heres a close up of the leaves.

cheers

DSCF1727_zps25576770.jpg

• Upvote 1

Harry,

Tough to come up with an ID considering its size, plus it appears to be somewhat stretched as well. Clinostigmas are very similar in appearance until they get up to about 1-2 m. in height, at which time you can also see differences between the species. About the so called "Hawaiian hybrid" - I have yet to meet someone who has a definite idea of its parents, or if it even IS a hybrid. Assuming it is a hybrid, my personal guess is samoense x ponapense. But Harry, whatever you have, it's going to be a great looking palm, and like Tim suggested: full sun! :)

Bo-Göran

Leilani Estates, 25 mls/40 km south of Hilo, Big Island of Hawai'i. Elevation 880 ft/270 m. Average rainfall 140 inches/3550 mm

The harlandii is my fastest grower of all the clinostigmas I have (Samoense, Ponapense, Savoryanum and Exhorrizzum). I have three somewhat close to each other and all could be considered full sun. Interestingly the one closest to my storage shed is twice as big as the others and gets about a half hour to an hour more shade in the morning before the sun comes out for total exposure at about 10 A.M. I received these from Jeff and Suchin one year ago and the harlandii is now over my head so it rivals Bentinckia Nicobarica as the fastest grower in my garden (although the others are half the size so we'll see what happens within one year)

• 7 months later...

.....he's going in the ground this afternoon. got just the spot for it.

How does it enjoy being in the ground after 7 months ?

Do you like it, Harry?

Some pics?

Thanks

Philippe

Philippe

• 8 months later...

Sorry phillipe, I had not seen your post. the palm in question did go in the ground but am still unsure what it is. I still has a very upright growth habit and has gone semi pinnate. I did visit another grower recently who had a few smaller ones and he gave me the same story believe it or not. "cant remember its name. its from new guinea, looks a bit like an alex when mature and has quite large fruit" ????? bit frustrating but I did find out where the seeds were collected (opposite the flecker botanic garden in cairns so I will check for a tag next time I visit. well here it is now 15 months later, it would have to be well over three metres tall by now...

DSCF3111.jpg

Harry,Im pretty sure the Clino's on the outside of Flecker are Ponapense, heres 1 of our young Harlandii ( 5ft) just starting to split its entire leaf. Pete

post-5709-0-17281600-1400798670_thumb.jp

Harry and Pete,

It's nice to see pics of Clinostigma, your palms look strong and happy,seem to be fast growers.

I am looking forward to seeing mines getting bigger:

Here seedlings from Jeff, I got in august 2013:

post-6735-0-74920200-1400816976_thumb.jp

Philippe

i just picked up two clinostigma savoryanum a week ago from KW palms. They are 4ft tall and each one has its first pinnate leaf and they look just like the one in the picture.they are 5gal. looks like yours is starting to push itself out of the pot possibly why the roots are showing. hard to tell from the pic

Were these in your garden Adam? How are they doing? Is your A. vestiara still chugging along?

Dunno Pete, he said the seeds are quite large and don't ponapense have a fair bit of white on the crownshaft and trunk? Nice harlandii by the way. Phillipe, are those the Hawaiian hybrids?

Dunno Pete, he said the seeds are quite large and don't ponapense have a fair bit of white on the crownshaft and trunk? Nice harlandii by the way. Phillipe, are those the Hawaiian hybrids?

Its back to post 2 then Harry as the seed on the Clinostigma gronophyllum I bought up your way yrs ago ( Jan TNQ) was certainly "large" for Clinostigma.

Lucky you, these are very rare in cultivation and "Very Tropical"

Pete :)

Cheers Pete, pity I can't find any photos or much info on the net except it being a large palm. Will keep an eye on it anyways.

Cheers

Harry,

These babies are C. ponapense, C. samoense, C. exorrhizum from J.M.

I also have seedlings from RPS seeds of C. savoryanum (seeds of C. harlandi didn't work).

But all are still small, its' why I enjoy seeing your palms and look forward to seeing mines in few years.(future update post)

Philippe :)

Philippe

• 11 months later...

Hi all, bit of an update. turning into a real lanky looking thing with long crownshaft. in full sun too. looking more and more like Clinostigma gronophyllum I reckon...

20150504_070622.jpg20150504_070654.jpg20150504_070836.jpg

• Upvote 1

Looks like you got yourself a rare sp. there Harry, I have never seen or heard of a clinostigma looking like what yours has developed into? It certainly has the clino look when young and also the speed of a clino!

Hi all, bit of an update. turning into a real lanky looking thing with long crownshaft. in full sun too. looking more and more like Clinostigma gronophyllum I reckon...

20150504_070622.jpg20150504_070654.jpg20150504_070836.jpg

H Gronophyllum are "very rare" in cultivation Harry, its amazing that they come from high altitude ( as below shows) but are So "Strictly" Tropical, mine died as soon as winter approached and it wasnt even cold, maybe once yours seeds they "may" have a chance of growing down here ??

Its growing great guns, great stuff and "thanks" for the update :) Pete

post-5709-0-53753000-1430736443_thumb.jp

Can't comment on any of the above photos as I am sitting in the corner cutting my thighs :violin:

Peachy

I came. I saw. I purchased

27.35 south.

Warm subtropical, with occasional frosts.

Cheers everyone,will be interesting to see what it looks like once it gets past this teenage stage. Will keep you updated.

• 1 year later...

As Pete said in another thread, this fella turned out to be Actinorhytis calapparia. Feels good to be able to solve the mystery!

2016-06-20 14.44.34.jpg

• Upvote 3

OMG, it seems it's the longest mistake thread on Palmtalk. 

Knowing our Actinorhytis in Doranakanda gardens, I should have been able to recognize this plant.
But it's a lovely species, you won't regret a Clinostigma.

• Upvote 1

Philippe

The garden has also changed a bit in nearly 3.5yrs. From the same angle:

2016-06-20 15.39.06.png

2016-06-20 15.37.02.jpg

• Upvote 2

11 hours ago, fan palm said:

The garden has also changed a bit in nearly 3.5yrs. From the same angle:

2016-06-20 15.39.06.png

2016-06-20 15.37.02.jpg

A small palm valley like in SBG!
Can you grow Cyrtostachys and Oncosperma in your place ? it would match with your lake

Philippe

Amazing changes Harry, looks awesome,  funny thread hey, so easy not to Q a tag :) Your such a young fella and "Keen", with the amazing speed of growth and rainfall you get up there in the Tropics you"ll  have a huge collection of all the wow factor palms,  see you in Spring.

Pete  :)

Cheers guys! No oncosperma yet Philippe but i do have a lipstick on the edge of the dam which is going great with its feet in the water!