IMPORTANT ANNOUNCEMENT ABOUT LOGGING IN ×
  • WELCOME GUEST

It looks as if you are viewing PalmTalk as an unregistered Guest.

Please consider registering so as to take better advantage of our vast knowledge base and friendly community.  By registering you will gain access to many features - among them are our powerful Search feature, the ability to Private Message other Users, and be able to post and/or answer questions from all over the world. It is completely free, no “catches,” and you will have complete control over how you wish to use this site.

PalmTalk is sponsored by the International Palm Society. - an organization dedicated to learning everything about and enjoying palm trees (and their companion plants) while conserving endangered palm species and habitat worldwide. Please take the time to know us all better and register.

guest Renda04.jpg

HAEMANTHUS ALBIFLOS

JEFF from Trabuco Canyon CA

Jeff,

That is pretty nice. Do you know if that will grow here in South Florida. I'm a big believer if, you don't see it growing here, then there's probably a good reason why you don't see it.

Jeff

Searle Brothers Nursery Inc.

and The Rainforest Collection.

Southwest Ranches,Fl.

• 14 years later...

Haemanthus albiflos is used extensively at the San Diego Zoo "Wild Animal Park" primarily in partial shade.  Answering Jeff's question from a long time ago, I suspect it is too wet for them in Florida.  I have kept my Haemanthus growing in pots using fast draining soil but may try this one in the ground.  Only one other species I am growing keeps foliage year round, which is Haemanthus deformis.  Foliage is a bit tender on these for my dogs to try in the ground.  The H deformis is pictured below with it's two large flat leaves.

20221218-BH3I9791.jpg

20221218-BH3I9789.jpg

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

33.0782 North -117.305 West  at 72 feet elevation

56 minutes ago, realarch said:

Tracy, that H. deformis is certainly an interesting looking plant.

Tim

Thanks Tim.  It is interesting to me that some of the other species in the genus I am growing, the bulbs have multiplied over time, but not the H. deformis yet.  The result is these 2 large oval shaped leaves, with an occasional push of another two leaves emerging from the same point and overlapping the other two with the ones underneath eventually dying after being hidden by the new growth.  I'm hoping that eventually I will get some additional bulbs from the H. deformis.  From what I can tell the Haemanthus albiflos seems to be a pretty prolific producer of bulbs (based on observation at the Wild Animal Park as well as the grower I got mine from).  That is why I am more inclined to try it in the ground in a "safe zone" from my dogs' foot traffic.  I'm really looking forward to the other species I have to eventually bloom.  All of them are putting out new leaves right now.  They make a nice addition for understory plants in dry but mild climates. 

I seem to recall that Nathan has grown some of these bulbs but don't recall which climate zone he was in when he did... San Jose?  Florida? Phoenix area?

11 hours ago, Tracy said:

I seem to recall that Nathan has grown some of these bulbs but don't recall which climate zone he was in when he did... San Jose?  Florida? Phoenix area?

Completely flew by this, lol.. anyhow.

Knew someone growing H. coccineus long time ago, but never got a chance to try them myself..   Thought Huntington had some in their collection, though maybe i mistook them for Scadoxus. Regardless, Present in both S.F Botanical, and the Botanical garden in Berkley's collections and seemingly doing quite well in both places. 

Found an old report from someone growing them in Phoenix on Dave's Garden, but entry is dated, and was never updated..  I'd be tempted to try coccineus if i could find one or two.  Imagine if Sea / Red  Squill, Urginia / Drimia maritima does well here, maybe Haemanthus might as well.

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

I finally decided to drop my Haemanthus albiflos into the ground a few months back.  It is responding well, withe new growth as well as a few flowers.

20231203-BH3I2815.jpg

20231203-BH3I2816.jpg

20231203-BH3I2817.jpg

• Like 1