Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ficusgw

tiny colorful leafed begonia?

Paul MI
4 years ago

Would like a small begonia with colorful or interesting leaves to try in a terrarium. Ideally not a fussy plant. Smaller it stays even when mature the better. Any suggestions of what I might keep an eye out for?

Comments (6)

• hc mcdole
    4 years ago

If you want tiny try prismatocarpa, 'Peridot', bogneri (grass like leaves), vankerckhovenii, polilloensis, amphioxus, bipinnatifida (well this one can get big if grown in a large greenhouse like the ABG - Atlanta Botanical Garden), and many, many more.

melanobullata can get quite large

bogneri was voted best in show

ningmingensis (what a name)

vankerchovenii

roseopunctata

cleopatrae

• Paul MI
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Thanks, HC!

hc mcdole(z7)

"Check with The Violet Barn as they sell many miniature begonias (but beware some do grow much bigger than expected). "

I have run into that issue with many types of plants. Result is I tend to be a nuisance with vendors as I "bug them" for what the real max height of their plants will be.

"Mountain Orchids sells many exotics but their prices are a bit exotic too."

Heh. I'm not surprised. That's why, whenever possible, I have acquired plants via trade.

microsperma x staudtii -- that one is pretty cool

koksunii -- that one is awesome

quadrilata var. nimbaensis -- looks familiar ... definitely rather cute

.'Silver Dollar' -- quite lovely

'Helen Teupel' -- pity as to the "gets a lot larger" part .... really like that one

bogneri -- now THAT is just plain nifty! I like that. (but then I tend to like the "weird stuff")

cleopatrae -- lovely little thing

prismatocarpa -- did try once but, alas, couldn't keep the humidity as high as it wanted in my big terr

melanobullata -- rather like the look but, again, "gets large" would be an issue, I suspect

ningmingensis -- rather nice, that one

Thanks again, HC. Given me some plants to keep an eye out for. Mayhaps I will get lucky and obtain some via plant trades. :-)

• hc mcdole
    4 years ago

Have fun with whatever direction you go. Begonias can be addicting.

• petrushka (7b)
    4 years ago

all of the above are porbably quite difficult to get.

the one that can be found is 'Tiger Kitten'. the veining is pretty but I don't know how fast it can get out of bounds :).

I propagate using whole leaves and usually enclosed and mostly in perlite - and most of my young plants stay very small for at least a year with very small leaves. but no artificial light. any rhizomatous or rex.

but hc begonias grow super fast under lights.

so I am thinking if your lighting is not strong and you confine the plant to a sep small pot buried / covered with sphag they can stay small for like 2 years.

then you have a much larger choice.

• Rosie1949
    4 years ago

Yes, Paul,,,,,,,definitely take HC McDole's advice! Begonias ARE addicting, especially when you have a friend who is an enabler!!!! lol Rosie