Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splinter1804

Nice yellow bromeliad

splinter1804
6 years ago

Hi everyone - In my opinion there's nothing like a nice yellow bromeliad to contrast and lift the other colours in a group of bromeliads. My choice for this is the species Neoregelia kautskyi.

All the best, Nev.

Comments (12)

• lavandula8
    6 years ago

Beautiful colors!! This picture is wonderful!

Renee

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi everyone.

Renee - This is the reason I'm so attracted to Neoregelias; I don't think there's another genera with such a kaleidoscope of colours. Thanks mainly to Chester Skotak there are amazing new colours and colour combinations now being released.

As a tiny example of some of the newer hybrids I'm referring to, open the link below to look at some of the hybrids he's produced from just one of the parents he uses.

http://registry.bsi.org/?fields=Parents&id=11188&search=carolinae%20variegated%20x%20Hannibal%20Lector

All the best, Nev.

• lavandula8
    6 years ago

Wow, thats a beautiful neo!! I have this one that is a little bit similar:

http://registry.bsi.org/?fields=Parents&id=10596&search=carolinae%20variegated%20x%20Hannibal%20Lector

Renee

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi everyone.

Renee - I wasn't just referring to that picture of 'Solar Storm', I meant for you to scroll down the list on the left side of the page and see the various examples of different colours produced from that parent.

It doesn't come as a surprise to me that your plant in the link you provided is from that same parent as well; it's certainly breeding some amazing colours.

All the best, Nev

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

Very nice, indeed. It truly helps make the other colors pop. Thanks.

tj

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    6 years ago

Have you tried to cross this Neoregelia kautskyi with others??

• splinter1804
    Original Author
    6 years ago

Hi Everyone.

Dave – The answer to your
    question is yes; I currently have seed I have sown of crosses between Neo
    kautskyi x Neo.
    ‘Noble Descent’ and Neo. ‘Noble Descent x Neo. Kautskyi.

Neoregelia kautskyi

Neoregelia 'Noble Descent'

The reason I have done the
    cross “both ways” is because Neo. kautskyi
    is a known “selfer” (self-pollinator) and any time a flower is touched by a
    bird or insect it is fertilised by its own pollen.

A typical Neo. kautskyi plant showing almost every flower having been fertilised and produced seed capsules. These are the white coloured berries seen in the picture.

Even though I followed
    common practice and put makers in the flowers I pollinated, there’s no
    guarantee that an insect wasn’t there just immediately prior to me and
    pollinated the same flower I did, therefor the resulting seed wouldn’t be Neo kautskyi
    x Neo.
    ‘Noble Descent’ it would be Neo kautskyi x Self.

To get around this problem
    I have done the cross both ways, i.e. in one cross I made the Neo kautskyi the seed parent (the
    mother) with Neo. ‘Noble Descent’ the pollen parent (the father), and in the
    second cross I reversed it and made Neo. ‘Noble Descent’ the seed parent and Neo. kautskyi the pollen parent.

The aim of this cross is
    to produce plants that are primarily bright yellow in colour and able to
    withstand strong sunlight which is one of the attributes of ‘Noble Descent’. Although
    ‘Noble Descent’ isn’t a nice bright yellow like kautskyi , it does lean toward yellow when grown in strong light.

It has thicker leaves and is “tougher” than kautskyi and I have found with the (exception of heatwave conditions), it can be grown happily in full
    sun conditions here where I live in N.S.W. Australia. This attribute has no doubt been inherited from its two "species" parents Neo olens and Neo cruenta which are also very tough plants and also able to withstand strong sunlight.

Neither Neo kautskyi or Neo. ‘Noble Descent’have nice compact shape, and
    this wasn’t a consideration when doing the cross, it was primarily for colour
    and nothing else, although you never know what Mother Nature might throw into the equation; only time will tell.

All the best, Nev.

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

How much sun does Neo kautskyi need to color up so brightly? Mine is so much greener, I think I need to find a better spot for it.

Thanks for the bsi link, in addition to the colors/patterns, it's remarkable what a size range there is.

• karen__w z7 NC
    6 years ago

That looks so amazing. I bring some of my bromeliads outdoors spring through fall but have gotten a bit lazy about moving them in and out of the greenhouse. I’ve got lots of deciduous trees and should be able to find places with the right amount of sun. Looking at those photos, I definitely need to think more about the vertical opportunities in my greenhouse. I’ve done that with my Tillandsias but not nearly as much as I should with other bromeliads.

• hoovb zone 9 sunset 23
    6 years ago

Awesome greenhouse, Nev!

• tsugajunkie z5 SE WI ♱
    6 years ago

A Nev-er ending wall of broms. Spectacular.

tj

Sponsored
More Discussions