Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willkelly1009

Growing rare milkweeds

William Kelly
6 years ago

Just wanted to let people know that I am growing clasping milkweed, sandhill milkweed, Indian milkweed, pallid milkweed, hall's milkweed, broadleaf milkweed, heartleaf milkweed, woolly milkweed, purple milkweed, rush milkweed,white-stemmed milkweed,tropical milkweed, common milkweed,ice ballet milkweed, swamp milkweed, green antalope horns, western sand milkweed, prairie milkweed,butterfly weed,poke milkweed whorled milkweed,and showy milkweed,. If anybody has information about growing these and what requirements each species needs to grow well I would love to know. I will be sharing some seeds if anyone wants some in the next couple of years, but right now most of my milkweed plants are small plants or seedlings. If anyone has other milkweed species I don't have I would love to trade. I still have lots of milkweed seeds to trade. I would love zizotes milkweed,dwarf milkweed,redring milkweed,some clasping milkweed seeds, serpentine milkweed, mojave milkweed,California milkweed etc....

Here are some pics of some of my milkweed.

Comments (418)

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

I don't have anymore oenotheroides seeds. or quadrifolia, or amplexicaulis. Will, the bract milkweed is very cool. Have you heard of incarnata pulchra? Something completely ate my 2 Asclepias humistrata seedlings. I saw thia the other day.

• Danny Porter
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

I have asclepias variegata seeds for sale if anyone is interested. They're wild-caught and cage free. Will trade some for liatris ligulistylis corms. They're posted on Etsy under MaggiesMilkweedSeed. The few sellers I've found online seem to command a premium price for them. Mine go for 25 bucks for a pack of 25 seeds...probably a few extra in there.

• Jason Fleming
    4 years ago

Rare milkweeds I'd like to grow

Asclepias barjoniifolia

Asclepias elata

Asclepias meadii

Asclepias melantha

Asclepias nivea

Asclepias pilgeriana

Asclepias pseudofimbriata

Cynanchum wigginsii

Melantha is especially beautiful. Pseudofimbriata may be the most basal Asclepias species.

• Jason Fleming
    4 years ago

"Have you heard of incarnata pulchra?"

Yes. It has hairy leaves instead of smooth leaves. It has a moderate level of protective cardenolides unlike regular incarnata which has practically none. There is a site that sells gallon plants for $12, which seems very reasonable. There is an Ebay seller or two with seeds.

Given that it has cardenolides it's probably a more beneficial plant than regular incarnata for monarchs.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Jason, I have seeds for pulchra. Only 10 seeds. What species are you growing now? The melantha is cool, but I'd take cordifolia over it. I can't find any online photos of pseudofimbriata. If regular incarnatas are cardio glycolic poor, that's probably also why the get attacked more by aphids than other species, and it seems to me that the caterpillars eat more when feeding in incarnata, so they probably do that to build up more toxin.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

The only place I see pulchra plants for sale is Izel, and they are out of stock. They may not even have it again. They had quadrifolia plants in the past, but not anymore. Quadrifolia is a native Illinois milkweed that I haven't been able to get seeds for. I started searching 2 years ago. There are four natives I still don't have. Meadii, lanuginosa, quadrifolia, and amplexicaulis.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

I've never heard of a white flowered syriaca before. There is no mention of its existence on the internet??? Where do you find it?

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

@Jay 6a Chicago I have one white flowerflowering milkweed plant. I do have one fairly large pod on it.

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Here is a photo

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

There is no photo Will? Where did you find it? You heard about the pure white speciosa right?

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

For some reason it won't let me post pictures on here.

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

I got it in a trade. I will have seeseeds available for trade in a few weeks.

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    4 years ago

Pardon for the typos in my commentcomments, houzz isn't workingworking properly

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    4 years ago

Will, houzz made more changes that make it harder to navigate gardenweb. There are 2 sides, the houzz side and the gardenweb side. You can only post pictures in the gardenweb side. If you this link, and access the forums here through this link, you will be on the gardenweb side. The address, url should say gardenweb. I can't even make comments on the houzz side anymore. We can talk trade in a few weeks.

https://www.gardenweb.com/discussions/explore-topics

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

It has been a while since we last talked on here! How is everyone's garden growing? I will post pictures of my plants tomorrow.

• Daniel Sanchez
    3 years ago

Hey Will! some of us have moved to facebook or emailing. I tried to email you but you never replied. I hope all is going well with you and all your Milkweeds. I’ve started many new species since I last posted on here and am continuing to find neat ones.

• Devra Goldberg
    3 years ago
    last modified: 3 years ago

i've had a hit-or-miss winter for my milkweeds. still waiting to see if the variegata resurfaces--but hirtella, ovalifolia, purpurascens, viridiflora, viridis, verticillata all up. the exaltata is getting ambitious and making a lovely stand of itself in my woodland. i think i may have lost my quadrifolia plant and it looks like the rabbits got to my amplexicaulis. :-( i'm actually just about to start a late round of seeds for fall planting. also did a round of root cuttings on my A. tuberosa.

• javiwa
    3 years ago

With the exception of the two Cancellatus and the row of G. physocarpus (started from seed in pots this year), all in this milkweed bed were started from seed last year and planted in-ground October/November: Viridis, Oenotheroides, Fascicularis, C. procera, tweedia caerulea. The purple and the variegata on the perimeter were planted last year and haven't yet decided if they like my yard. I've also got more purple and variegata in pots/cups, and am trying my hand at pink tweedia.

Blue tweedia close-up:

Pink tweedia @ Week 6 in an 8 oz plastic cup:

Speciosa appears to be a bust as, despite how nicely it's grown since January, it's very prone to rust down here (SW Houston, TX - zone 9a):

• Daniel Sanchez
    3 years ago

I’ve had a blast experimenting with lots of new Asclepias species. Some are pictured below.
    Asclepias tuberosa (yellow-orange)

Asclepias syriaca

Asclepias angustifolia already going to seed (only 2-3 months old)

Asclepias subverticillata (2-3 months)

Asclepias perennis (2-3 mo) Florida ecotype

Asclepias perennis (Houston, Tx ecotype)

Asclepias viridiflora returning

Hello Yellow tuberosa (pic from last year but plant has returned)

Asclepias linearis (native in my area)

Not pictured are: orange tuberosa, incarnata (cinderella, ice ballet, and regular), amplexicaulis, obovata, asperula, viridis, speciosa (several ecotypes), exaltata, longifolia, purpurascens, variegata (texarkana and Florida ecotypes), latifolia, hallii, sullivantii, verticillata (FL ecotype), humistrata, ovalifolia, quadrifolia, g. physocarpus, fascicularis, oenotheroides, and eriocarpa.
    I am going to start some new seeds soon once I get the others planted. The new ones are: cordifolia, texana, engelmaniana, asperula subsp asperula, lemmonii, involucrata, and subulata.

• Daniel Sanchez
    3 years ago

Apparently I can’t upload photos for some reason, sorry about that.

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

Oh I’m so sorry if I never responded to any emails for trades! Pls email me again willkelly1009@gmail.com

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

A few pictures I was able to take I will take more later.

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    3 years ago

I’ve kinda stopped growing the really western species, they are always really diseased and grow so slowly. I do have zizotes, common, and bog milkweed about to bloom soon. My clasping milkweed already bloomed and sadly there was no pollination. I’ve kind of moved on from just growing milkweeds. I currently have many other nectar and other host plants for several butterflies rn.

• HU-40151751
    3 years ago

I am looking for Clasping milkweed seeds. I will have others for trade in October.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

HU-40151751 What other species will you have to trade in October?

• Danny Porter
    3 years ago

Notice how tall and erect this a. variegata is growing. I'm assuming it is because it is in full sunlight and can direct its energy vertically with fewer leaves needed to capture mottled sunlight.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

Is that growing in the wild? I thought they would burn in full sun.

• Stephen Powell
    3 years ago

What state is that growing in? Never seen them in full sun

• Daniel Sanchez
    3 years ago

I’ve never heard of them in full sun either. I always thought when plants got leggy it was because of too much shade.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    3 years ago

I like the red stem.

• Danny Porter
    3 years ago

Yes, it is in the wild in northeast Ky. It is in a corridor that contains several white milkweeds--all but this one in partial shade. It appears they have an adaption to full sun unless this is just an outlier.

• Danny Porter
    3 years ago

I have posted several photos of this year's redring bloom in my area at https://www.facebook.com/Maggiesmilkweedseed-112755136783644/ if anyone is interested. It is labeled 2020 pics.

• Khalil Llorens
    3 years ago

@William Kelly I'd love to get some seeds from you!

• Brenda Porter
    3 years ago

sorry--just sold my last packet yesterday.

• Kelvin Iyun
    3 years ago

can u send me some broadleaf milkweed and antalope horn milkweed? my gmail is

thepurpleplatypus123@gmail.com

• HU-567917564
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

I am looking for Clasping and Poke milkweed seeds. Do you have any at this time?

• Brenda Porter
    2 years ago

I have poke milkweed plants, but there aren't any pods this year...I'll keep you in mind next year.

• PRO
    Jay 6a Chicago
    2 years ago

Brenda, will you be selling any variegata seeds later this year? Do you have any other species?

• Brenda Porter
    2 years ago

I've located about 40 plants, but only 4 pods so far. Very inconsistent plant. I have common, swamp, green, purple (no pods), variegata, tropical, balloon plant, and butterfly weed

• Susan Brandauer
    2 years ago

Hello William, would you happen to have any asclepias rubra seeds for sale?

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    last year

Hello everybody! not sure if yall still plant milkweed but my garden is looking so pretty rn with al the varieties.

• Daniel Sanchez
    last year

Hi everyone! If anyone has seeds/rhizomes/tubers of some Asclepias species for sale/trade, please let me know :)

• William Kelly
    Original Author
    last year

I’m gonna try to get you some asclepias syriaca white and pink blooms.

• Loretta
    last year

Beautiful blooms, William!

• Khalil Llorens
    last year
    last modified: last year

@William Kelly

Hi William!

I am a milkweed enthusiast and am trying to grow all milkweed species native to my state in my home garden.

That has proved to be a bit difficult, as finding some species seeds has turned out to be hard.

I have seeds of A. amplexicaulis and A. viridiflora, and that is all I have to trade.

Would you happen to have seeds of A. rubra or A. quadrifolia that you would be willing to trade?

Khalil

If anyone has any of these seeds, contact me at khaliliscool20@gmail.com and we can discuss payment.

• Khalil Llorens
    last year

Hey now. Never mind. I found nearly all of these milkweeds.

• Daniel Sanchez
    last year

Khalil, where did you find A. rubra and A. quadrifolia? I’d happily purchase some from you. I also grow multiple Milkweed species.

Thanks,
    Danny

• Khalil Llorens
    last year

Sorry, I never found Asclepias rubra. If only! But I have located a seller of Asclepias quadrifolia in New York state, and have exchanged emails with the nursery owner. So, that is to say, I have given up on rubra and have plans for quadrifolia, but in the future I will definitely be able to trade seeds fro quadrifolia. What milkweed species do you grow currently? And, I am not sure if this is too specific a question, but do you know anything about rare asclepias syriaca varients (such as white common milkweed)? I am very interested in them and can trade or pay.

• Daniel Sanchez
    last year

Send me an email! Danny112596@aol.com and we can discuss further there :)

• Tanya Campbell
    4 months ago

Looking for Asclepias quadrifolia seeds if anyone has any. Can’t locate this one.

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!