pinus nigra (New Tree Day)

Deshi

Yamadori
Reaction score

This is on the way to my house. Any suggestions? It's going to need a new pot. 20 inches tall 4 inch trunk.

Attachments

• 2015_02210005.JPG
    2015_02210005.JPG
    370.2 KB · Views: 56

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Call the delivery folks and tell them you meant to ship it to me!

Nice!

Sorce

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Why does it need a new pot? That one seems entirely suitable to me -- at least for now. Very nice tree. Can we see the "front?"

Zerojoke

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi, curious question, did you get this tree at the growing grounds?

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Very nice. My only suggestion at the moment is to thin the needles a bit. Trim off any needles on the under side of branches. That will clean the tree up quite a bit, then maybe we'll have a few more suggestions. :) I like the current pot for now as well.

Deshi

Yamadori
Reaction score
Well it needa a repot. From what I understand this tree has been in this pot for a few years...I may just reuse this pot depending how root bound it has become. If the roots are super bound instead of cutting them back super hard I pot up ever so slightly or just a bit deeper. I hate stressing out pines. The first picture is the front rhe second is the back.

Deshi

Yamadori
Reaction score
Also looking for a soil suggestion...was thinking 2 parts akadama med sized 1parts large river sand 1 part yellow hyuga and 1 part large hyuga for the very bottom for drainage....

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Also looking for a soil suggestion...was thinking 2 parts akadama med sized 1parts large river sand 1 part yellow hyuga and 1 part large hyuga for the very bottom for drainage....
I have always heard pines like it dry and that mix would put it more like 2 parts pumice to 1 part Akadama- probably don't even need the sand... Maybe lava rocks instead if you want to go full Boone on it!

Your choice of course... These guys are tough as nails so it would be hard to hurt it almost regardless of the mix using ingredients like that... I was just telling you what "the books"/ "the experts" say about a pine mix. I have three Nigras right now and two are in nursery cans with what appears to be a basic potting soil... Doing fine. The other was just potted to a more free draining mix this past year- also seems to be doing fine... This Spring will tell the tale for that one. I chopped it about a year ago and I am hoping it is ready to have a huge bounce back year this growing season!

Deshi

Yamadori
Reaction score
Now thinking 1 part akadama, 1 part coarse river sand, 1 part yellow hyuga, and maybe a part lava rock?

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
If you could update your profile to furnish what part of the Glob you live on the advise you are asking would be much more relevant to your situation.

Deshi

Yamadori
Reaction score
Sorry about that..I did it ages ago and must have forgot to hit Save. I live in Chicago. I still think it needs a little larger pot as the roots radiate and almost touch the edges and the tree seems to be lifting it self out of the pot. According to the seller the tree has been in that pot over a decade. (repotted in the same pot).

jeanluc83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Well it needa a repot. From what I understand this tree has been in this pot for a few years...I may just reuse this pot depending how root bound it has become. If the roots are super bound instead of cutting them back super hard I pot up ever so slightly or just a bit deeper. I hate stressing out pines. The first picture is the front rhe second is the back.

It sounds like you will need to do some involved root work. I understand not wanting to over stress the tree but potting up with minimal root work just kicks the can down the road. I would recommend finding someone in you area that knows their pines and solicit their help in repotting this tree. This tree has a ton of potential. I would hate to see it decline because of lack of confidence to do what needs to be done.

Deshi

Yamadori
Reaction score
Lack of confidence is not the issue. I still do the root work but I feel that a Slightly larger pot helps the roots get started again. If you look closely at the picture, the tree is rising like its day light savings time. I also think this tree needs a slightly larger pot regardless. The seller also shared that thought with me as well. When I say slightly larger, I mean maybe an inch larger around. This tree is still 3 - 5 years away from being anywhere in my opinon. While the tree does have tons of potential, I remember that bonsai is not a race, rather a marathon.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
For pines, I use pumice,lava,sifted pine bark(1,1,1),splash horticultural charcoal. I buy in bulk hence why I don't use akadama and hyuga(which is just pumice). So if you need to save some cash no need to use the pricy stuff(I'm cheap, lol) but as they say there are more then one way to skin a cat. A mix of 1,1,1 of pumic(hyuga), lava, akadama is a pretty good mix. The pot as well to me doesn't look out of place.

Dan W.

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
As I mentioned, I don't think it's bad. But I think it will look fine just a bit larger too. You've got a nice tree either way. :)

I try to keep my soil as simple as possible. I guess that comes from my teacher. -- Everything I use for potted bonsai is a mixture of pumice and akadama. 50/50 for most deciduous trees. Or 1 part akadama, to 2 parts pumice for most of my conifers. To me, most any other aggregates are redundant. Lava is good too, and it adds another color to the mix, but really there's no need for it with the pumice. -- My young trees in growing pots get a mix of bark and pumice.

Top Bottom