New from Lowes's, Vitex (Chaste Tree)

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
So I was running some errands and was waiting for my boss at Lowe's and had time to snoop around for discounts. Stumble on this tree/bush and thought the trunk and nebary to be pretty decent to start something.

After reading up a bit on it at work. Found them to be quite hardy and can withstand a beating, in terms of pruning of course. They thrive in well draining inorganic soil. Bonsai mix? And can prune through the growing season?

Also after some digging on here, I found I can pot it in $100 pot and then sell it for $400!;). After a bit of chopping and growing pads of course.:)

But I'm gonna put this in a gigantic pot or in a grow bed next spring to thicken up the trunk some more.

Do anyone have some advice they would like to share?

Vitex1_8-5-16_zps1583ryek.jpg

Vitex2_8-5-16_zpsbfbuu683.jpg

Vitex3_8-5-16_zpsmbo1gpae.jpg

Told myself I'm not gonna spend anymore after the big purchase, here I am wiping my ass with cash :rolleyes:o_O:eek::confused:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
So I was running some errands and was waiting for my boss at Lowe's and had time to snoop around for discounts. Stumble on this tree/bush and thought the trunk and nebary to be pretty decent to start something.

After reading up a bit on it at work. Found them to be quite hardy and can withstand a beating, in terms of pruning of course. They thrive in well draining inorganic soil. Bonsai mix? And can prune through the growing season?

Also after some digging on here, I found I can pot it in $100 pot and then sell it for $400!;). After a bit of chopping and growing pads of course.:)

But I'm gonna put this in a gigantic pot or in a grow bed next spring to thicken up the trunk some more.

Do anyone have some advice they would like to share?

Vitex1_8-5-16_zps1583ryek.jpg

Vitex2_8-5-16_zpsbfbuu683.jpg

Vitex3_8-5-16_zpsmbo1gpae.jpg

Told myself I'm not gonna spend anymore after the big purchase, here I am wiping my ass with cash :rolleyes:o_O:eek::confused:
Nice tree, vitex are wonderful trees. They grow fast ,smell great, great bark, and beautiful flowers. Nice find.

Lol I did the same thing, dropped 500 on a tree (most expensive tree I've ever bought) then a week later I go and drop 130 on another lol

Aaron

JoeR

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Repot it in 100% pumice, working well for me so far. Make sure to also use an organic slow release fert though if you do.

Looks like it needs a chop this spring.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Nice tree, vitex are wonderful trees. They grow fast ,smell great, great bark, and beautiful flowers. Nice find.

Lol I did the same thing, dropped 500 on a tree (most expensive tree I've ever bought) then a week later I go and drop 130 on another lol

Aaron
Thanks Aaron. Haha yeah they are like your favorite snacks; can't have just one or a few. You gorge yourselves! They do smell great though. But honeysuckle has one of the best aroma to me. I need one lol.

Repot it in 100% pumice, working well for me so far. Make sure to also use an organic slow release fert though if you do.

Looks like it needs a chop this spring.

Thank you sir. 100% pumice it is. And I was gonna spend even more and mix in lava or akadama too. probly not necessary.

Yup, looks like that middle section might need a chop next spring.

Thanks for the link Anthony. I see Vitex Quinata has much smaller leaves and bark is different. Most likely better candidate than V. Agnus Castus, which is what I have. But it looks to be tropical. V. Agnus Castus however is temperate which is better suited for my zone. Hardy to zone 5 but i wouldn't push it. I do have to work with the leaves though once the tree is pre-bonsai ready, maybe in a couple years.

It's odd they mentioned deadwood jin/shari, but I read on here that deadwood rot easily on these trees...

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I want to double or triple the trunk size so the leaves will look a bit more proportional.

But next spring I plan on cutting the middle trunk, above the red line. And let the branches (green arrow) grow out. Is this what you guys would do?
Vitex4_8-5-16_zpsfau90sqm.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I would select only one of those suckers to thicken the trunk, chose which side you think should be the front based off the root flare then leave the sucker that's in the back.

Aaron

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A

If in a grow bed probably should put it in the ground this fall, not spring.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Micro,

Vitex agnus castus, grows here in the tropics from seed, and we have another type as well.
BUT after it got the big trunk 5 inches, it really didn't show that much potential. So it
was dumped.
Hope you have a much better training experience.
Good Day
Anthony

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
@Anthony
Do you mean the leaf size and internodes just didn't quite work out?

If anything, it can just be my yard plant :)

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
If in a grow bed probably should put it in the ground this fall, not spring.
I actually was going to build a grow box 2.5' x 2.5' x 10" and bare root and replant in pumice.

I thought this would be better done in the spring. But if it can handle fall bare root and repot, I'll do that.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I want to double or triple the trunk size so the leaves will look a bit more proportional.

But next spring I plan on cutting the middle trunk, above the red line. And let the branches (green arrow) grow out. Is this what you guys would do?
Vitex4_8-5-16_zpsfau90sqm.jpg
I see the red line for the cut. How do you handle the cut when it's so close to that branch below the red line. I circled what I'm talking about in white in a copy of your attachment. I've read that leaving branches like this might help the healing....but won't it also create a new odd angle protruding cut in the future? Would it work better to cut below that branch like the blue dots show? Or....did I mis something and that branch is important in the future? Not criticizing the cut choice....just wondering how it gets handled as I have similar branch growths happen on tree stand.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    302.8 KB · Views: 15

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
I'm not sure of growing characteristic of these trees, or any trees for that matter lol. Just started planting stuff this season:)

Oh no, please be critical. I take no offense at all. That's the only way I'll learn what works and what don't. Was already told this species might not be a good variety but I'll give it a go. If it fails, I'll plant it in the ground and leave it alone.

This is what I got in mind. Quick sketch on the galaxy note5
Vitex_sketch_8-6-16_zpsh6gff3ck.jpg

Vitex_sketch_8-6-16_zpsxvgtotnk.jpg

Don't even know if this is achievable on this kinda tree lol

Last edited:

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I'm not sure of growing characteristic of these trees, or any trees for that matter lol. Just started planting stuff this season:)

Oh no, please be critical. I take no offense at all. That's the only way I'll learn what works and what don't. Was already told this species might not be a good variety but I'll give it a go. If it fails, I'll plant it in the ground and leave it alone.

This is a fine species for bonsai, and your sketch can definitely be achieved. I'd use a knob cutter myself to remove the large limb without damaging the lower limb.

Aaron

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Vitex_sketch_8-6-16_zpsxvgtotnk.jpg

Ahhhhhh....I see what you have in mind and where you're going. Well thought out....it works.

And.....I like that sketch. It captures your direction really well. Nice creativity.

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Micro,

remember to envision the whole tree first - canopy as well, as you did in the sketch above, and aim for the trunk size
with around 6 branches.
Keep it Healthy.

What many do is the refinement work [ branchlets ] and the trunk ends up to thin.

Do you know the guide lines - 1 inch trunk to 5 inches trunk [ masculine ] or 1 inch trunk to 6 inches
trunk [ feminine ] ?

Also check for wound healing, and durability of the heartwood.

Take cuttings, practice on the expendables.
Come back and show.
Good Day
Anthony

*Also check leaf / branch density.

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Micro,

remember to envision the whole tree first - canopy as well, as you did in the sketch above, and aim for the trunk size
with around 6 branches.
Keep it Healthy.

What many do is the refinement work [ branchlets ] and the trunk ends up to thin.

Do you know the guide lines - 1 inch trunk to 5 inches trunk [ masculine ] or 1 inch trunk to 6 inches
trunk [ feminine ] ?

Also check for wound healing, and durability of the heartwood.

Take cuttings, practice on the expendables.
Come back and show.
Good Day
Anthony

*Also check leaf / branch density.
Thanks for reminding me Anothony. Another reason I love vitex is they are very easy to propogate both through seed and cutting.

Aaron

Reaction score
If you "stay after it" with pruning, the leaves reduce quite a bit.

Mine are staying right around a half-dollar size (for all lobes of one leaf), with regular (every week) pruning, but I'm attempting to thicken, taper, and ramify branches with a significant amount of organic fertilizer right now.

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Thanks for the advice Anthony. I admit I'm really bad at planning things. This thing is so bushy and the mosquitoes always have a banquet when I'm out there; I think I'll wait till fall to see where I can go with the main and secondary branches.

I'm planning on a more masculine tree on this one since it's already squatty. The trunk is about 1.5+" right now above the root base. I'm aiming for 2.5" to 3.5".

Now I don't have those large manly club hands but these leaflets are quite long! Are we talking about the same species @timetrave_0? Those leaves smells like Basel or something. Very aromatic!
1vitex_8-7-16_zpsokznxns9.jpg

The flowers are nice and attract the good insects. But I read to cut it to direct energy to growing trunk and branches?
2vitex_8-7-16_zpsjcfqabk7.jpg

aml1014

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Thanks for the advice Anthony. I admit I'm really bad at planning things. This thing is so bushy and the mosquitoes always have a banquet when I'm out there; I think I'll wait till fall to see where I can go with the main and secondary branches.

I'm planning on a more masculine tree on this one since it's already squatty. The trunk is about 1.5+" right now above the root base. I'm aiming for 2.5" to 3.5".

Now I don't have those large manly club hands but these leaflets are quite long! Are we talking about the same species @timetrave_0? Those leaves smells like Basel or something. Very aromatic!
1vitex_8-7-16_zpsokznxns9.jpg

The flowers are nice and attract the good insects. But I read to cut it to direct energy to growing trunk and branches?
2vitex_8-7-16_zpsjcfqabk7.jpg
He's correct, I have a couple vitex agnis castus and I prune them every time I see flower buds, leaves are the same as his, about the size of a half dollar.
Got my eye on one at my work with a 2" trunk about 4" up and the base is about 6", but $80 ain't cheap! Lol

Aaron

Top Bottom