Cutlery hallmark ID on Knife

Discussion in 'Silver' started by KSW, Jun 20, 2020.

1. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Does anyone recognise this hallmark please?. Or is it a makers mark?. Plate or silver?
    Top stamp looks like a 9 after the 8 possibly. Some hand stamped initials at the top on both sides.
    Thankyou for looking :).

IMG_6418.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg FullSizeRender.jpg

Any Jewelry likes this.
  2. DragonflyWink

DragonflyWink Well-Known Member

Danish silver, at least .826 fineness, Copenhagen 1789, Frederik Fabritius assay-master - other marks should be a zodiac sign that would correspond to the time of year it was assayed, the other the maker's mark...

~Cheryl

3. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Really? Are you saying this was made in 1789 or have I misunderstood?:jawdrop:
    Edit- Just had a google and see what you are saying. I'm amazed that it's c230 years old!. Stunning what you can find in a crate of scrap plated cutlery at a car boot sale.
    I can't seem to find a list of the zodiac symbols, not that the month is important but it's interesting.
    I'll try to get a close up of the makers mark, I think it's AH or AR or something similar but the A has 3 legs!.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2020
    PortableTreasures likes this.
  4. DragonflyWink

Well, the handle is 1789, suspect the blade might be a replacement, which is not uncommon (what's the length?) - can't tell from pics if silver or not. I can post some of the zodiac symbols from Tardy later, but there were a lot of variants over the years...

~Cheryl

5. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Got to work today but I'll take photos and measure the blade later.

6. DragonflyWink

Here are the zodiac symbols shown in Tardy:

521202012168.jpg

~Cheryl

PortableTreasures and KSW like this.
  7. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou. Looks like the first one. Is there a legend as to which is which?. There doesn't seem to be much info out there. Think I need to invest in some hallmark books.

8. DragonflyWink

Here's a basic chart - there are numerous variants found on Danish and Norwegian silver:

zodiacsymbols.JPG

~Cheryl

9. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

Thankyou :kiss:

10. KSW

KSW Well-Known Member

11. J Dagger

J Dagger Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted