hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
8/4/13 9:42 p.m.

My family comes from the Vermont/New Hampshire area and has been known to have some redneck moments, but this one takes the cake.

At the annual family reunion yesterday one of my second cousins pulls in with his Dodge Charger.. but not just any Charger..it's the General Lee!He built the thing himself and did the paint as well. All of us kids went nuts, and some of the grown ups did as well. this thing is sweet, all the correct markings in vinyl, 440 big block, cb radio, dixie horn,push bar, etc..My son just stands there and says "that's a nice race car,daddy." Uh, freakin' right it is..

brandondukes

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/4/13 9:43 p.m.

Did he have a mullet?

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
8/4/13 9:45 p.m.

no mullets here...well, none that I could see anyway

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/13 9:48 p.m.

Did he come out the window when he arrived?

I would drive that thing to work everyday !!

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
8/4/13 9:53 p.m.

Lots of non-rednecks love that car, too.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
8/4/13 9:58 p.m.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/4/13 10:02 p.m.

Yeah, that deserves to be a daily.

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/4/13 10:58 p.m.

Are the doors welded shut? :)

SnowMongoose
SnowMongoose Reader
8/4/13 11:00 p.m.

I see way too much side glass, dude racks disciprine.

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
8/4/13 11:02 p.m.

I would have to have the factory wheels widened. Those 8in wide tires in the rear always killed me.

Sweet car though. My 11yro nephew got hurt a while back and I loaned him my Dukes of Hazzard DVD box set. Some how what he got out of it is that he wants a clone of uncle Jessi's truck. I mean... I was really hoping to work on a hot rod tow truck or built mopar... Even a Caddy but no, he wants me to build another sleeper truck when he starts driving.

novaderrik
novaderrik UberDork
8/4/13 11:15 p.m.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/13 6:34 a.m.

Nice!

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/5/13 8:00 a.m.

I want to change my first 5 things as a billionaire answer:

1) Get the General Lee
2) Get BA's van
3) Get Magnum PI's Ferrari
4) Get the Batmobile
5) Get the Munsters Car

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/13 9:17 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote: I want to change my first 5 things as a billionaire answer: 1) Get the General Lee 2) Get BA's van 3) Get Magnum PI's Ferrari 4) Get the Batmobile 5) Get the Munsters Car

You don't want KITT?

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
8/5/13 9:22 a.m.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/5/13 10:21 a.m.

ever been to the woodward dream cruise? imagine making your way north on woodward from 696 with the motherberkeleying general lee behind you. every four car lengths

DOODAALOOTOOTOODAADOODAALOOTOOTOOTOO!

i did not make it to twelve mile before i had to take a detour.

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry HalfDork
8/6/13 8:31 p.m.

I was walking my kid out of the bathroom when he hit the horn as he was pulling into the park. I knew instantly what it was.

that portion of the bucket list is checked off now.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/6/13 8:55 p.m.

Very jealous. The closest I've been is test driving a marginal clone back in 1990.

I've been having a serious case of "want" recently for a General Lee clone. Except I want to build it with coil-over suspension and a modern Hemi/6 spd slanted towards rallycross. Oh and hell yeah I'd daily drive it!

This thread does not help.

Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've recently discovered, '68-70 Chargers sell for serious money in any condition right now...

aussiesmg
aussiesmg UltimaDork
8/6/13 9:46 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've recently discovered, '68-70 Chargers sell for serious money in any condition right now...

I hear some dumbass 70's hillbilly show featured one of those and they destroyed 75% of them jumping off broken down county bridges.

rebelgtp
rebelgtp UltraDork
8/6/13 10:00 p.m.

Heck my only family connection to that show is we had a few family members that were very good at making moonshine. My first drink on my 21st birthday was from a bit of the family "private stock".

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UberDork
8/6/13 10:10 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
Ian F wrote: Unfortunately, as I'm sure you've recently discovered, '68-70 Chargers sell for serious money in any condition right now...
I hear some dumbass 70's hillbilly show featured one of those and they destroyed 75% of them jumping off broken down county bridges.

IIRC there were over 150k Dodge Chargers made between the 1968 and 1970 model years. There were only 375 destroyed in the making of TDOH. So I don't know what the big stink is.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ARv5fPOUk6IoNtE3lXkh0WrEKKTd3QlhROutiArGadNY6TzgeZHx3PrUsTQNlweK