Member for

16 years 2 months

And finally!
Jim

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

And the log!
I had to cut and paste this from Excel to Word and the extreme RH edge has been cut off!
Jim

Attachments

Member for

16 years 2 months

AAAaaahhh !!!

I hope that wasn't a coronary OE!
Jim

Member for

15 years 9 months

Superb photos Jim. I was due to attend this particular display (at the age of 8) but my parents decreed that I was too ill to go. Many thanks for showing me what I missed!

Were you at MSG for the Battle of Britain display in 1962 by any chance? I did make it to this one which was my first close up encounter with the Lightnings of 226 OCU. I seem to recall that there was a USAF F-104 Starfighter in static which departed after the show. On take off the pilot retracted the gear but maintained a height of about 10ft for the length of the runway before pulling up into a near vertical climb, all in reheat of course. If you did attend, do you have the serial and unit in your records?

Peter

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hello Peter,
Sorry, I was at the Acklington show in 62 and the F-104 didn't come there. Acklington was my usual base to visit on BoB day and MSG in 1961 was a one-off as my brother and I were offered a free lift from Newcastle on Wallsend ATC's coach!
I'm always puzzled by the fact that there were thousands of spectators at these shows, many of whom were taking photos and logging aircraft and yet all that information seems to have vanished!
One coincidence that year was the fact that my brother's future wife had just been born less than a mile away from MSG!
Jim

Member for

15 years 9 months

Thanks Jim

That F-104 departure is still a cherished memory after all these years. I think the pilot must have been a bit fed up having been forced to watch RAF Lightnings all afternoon.

Another (even earlier) memory is of a Short Sunderland heading south along the North East coast and seen off Whitby in about August 1958. I've often wondered about that one as well!

Peter

Member for

16 years 9 months

What - No Voodoo !?

Lovely snaps, my first airshow was Greenham Common 1976/77 (?) so like you I can remember the pre F-16 days in airshows !

Member for

16 years 2 months

There was supposed to be a Sunderland flypast at the RAF Ouston BoB display in 1956 but the weather was too bad for it (for a SUNDERLAND???? we thought) so it didn't turn up although it made to the Yorkshire displays, inc Leconfield, I believe. What we did get though was a flypast of 3 RAF Neptunes from 36 Sqn from Topcliffe who braved it through the murk.
You're right about the quality of airshows of that period BSG. I was lucky enough to be at the Farnborough shows from 1956-62 and they were simply superb. In 1958, for example, as well as the famous 22 aircraft loop by the Hunters of 111 Sqn there was also a flypast of another 45 Hunters and 45 Javelins plus stunning displays by teams from 9 Sqn's Canberras, the CFS's Jet Provost Mk.1s, 800 Sqn's Seahawks and 803 Sqn with their awesome Scimitars!
All that plus the company demonstrators, Bill Bedford, Roland Beamont, Roly Falk,Peter Twiss, etc.,etc. Without wishing to denigrate them in any way,how many people can bring to mind the name of just one present day test pilot?
Ah,me!
Jim

Member for

24 years 4 months

Great photos, the 1960s Battle of Britain Days were just great; Abingdon and Benson were mine.

Member for

18 years 1 month

Wonderful photos! Have you any more of the same era?

Member for

16 years 2 months

111 Sqn Lightning

Wonderful post, sort of thing that makes this web site such a wonderful experience- nice people sharing nice memories! I think the Lightning F1 A is probably the Solo Display flown by Flt Lt Anthony "Bugs" Bendal later Wg Cdr. The Aircraft is of course XM192 K still around and the subject of about 2 million 1/72 models! The picture is very similar to one taken by Roger Lindsay a well know author of the 60s 70s anyone know where he now is? Thanks for posting regards SF- Is that the 1 sqn ~spit?

Member for

24 years 4 months

re;

What more to add? Absolutely wonderful pics.

Member for

17 years 10 months

Great nostalgia, the airshows of the 50's and 60's.

John

Member for

14 years 11 months

Great photo's Jim,

Would you be interested in sharing your BoB logs & photo's for inclusion in NEAM's Tailwind magazine? Credit & copyright would remain with you.

In the NEAM archives I've found most of the Sunderland (airport) airshow programmes, a few from Teeside & fewer still from the BoB days at Ouston / Acklington so any further info would be gratefully received!

Cheers
Dave

Member for

19 years 4 months

Great images, thanks for sharing. Any idea as to the identity of the Spitfire??

C6

Member for

24 years 4 months

Great images, thanks for sharing. Any idea as to the identity of the Spitfire??

C6

TB382

Member for

19 years 4 months

TB382

Ah, thank you Mr A.

C6