Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dietzjm

Autumn photos of my young collection

dietzjm
13 years ago

Hi all,

I have been reading the forums for about a year now without actually being a member. I have learned so much from just reading, so thank you!

This is my second year collecting conifers. During the summers I work at a local garden center that orders from Iseli. I admit, it took my awhile but eventually I came to adore conifers. At this point I am obsessed. Over the past two years I have managed to collect 78 little specimens!

I took some pictures of my favorites today. Although its crummy out, I don't get home very often during the semester so I decided to go for it anyway. The camera is not the best, and coupled with the freezing rain the pictures aren't the greatest. Oh well, here we go:

Pinus sylvestris "Nisbet Aurea"- not impressed with the winter color so far:

Pinus strobus "Sea Urchin"

Picea orientalis "Skylands Iseli Seedling"- Little guy from my recent Porterhowse order:

Sciadopitys verticillata species

Picea pungens "Straw"

Picea orientalis "Tom Thumb"

Abies concolor "Blue Cloak"

Thuja occidentalis "Teddy" - I love the winter color!

Pinus strobus "Niagara Falls"

Pinus contorta "Chief Joseph" 1 of 2

Picea orientalis "Shadow's Broom"

Abies nordmanniana "Golden Spreader"- Here's hoping this comes out alive next spring!

Picea orientalis "Silver Seedling"

Picea abies "Vermont Gold"- severe needle burn and loss last winter followed by robust spring growth. Hopefully it fairs better this winter.

Abies alba "Green Spiral"

Tsuga canadensis "Gentsch White"

And last but not least Abies balsamea "Eugene Gold"

Thanks for looking!

Comments (5)

• dcsteg
    13 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

dietzjm...welcome to the conifer forum..

Very nice selection of conifers you have for show and all are very healthy looking.

78 in two years...yes, that's what happens once the addiction takes hold. We all can relate to that. Also working for a nursery can be very beneficial also but it doesn't help your addiction problem.

Good luck,...keep us posted on your new additions to your garden.

Dave

• firefightergardener
    13 years ago

Great choice of plants and a nice collection brewing there Jim.

A few of your plants have some great size and character to them already. "Blue Cloak" looks great!

Pinus sylvestris "Nisbet Aurea"- not impressed with the winter color so far:

Mine is a better gold-green now...

• sprucebud
    13 years ago

A very nice range of plants with a diverse range of colours. Some are new to me so thanks for sharing.
    Regards,
    Richard

• ken_adrian Adrian MI cold Z5
    13 years ago

thank god you finally have decided to jump in and participate.. welcome..

it is nice to find out who we are enabling.. lol ...

the babes always seem to take a few years to settle into winter coloration ... so dont fret about that.. it will come ...

i am a little concerned that your straw seems to show no coloration at all .... unless its just a camera trick .. something.. should be showing.. even if its just a bit of yellow on the tips ....

i am surprised you are growing Abies nordmanniana "Golden Spreader" and Sciadopitys verticillata species in z4 .... go figure on that ...

and.. finally.. my teddy.. takes severe snow load problems in my area .... the snow wont shed.. which crushes the plant.. opening it up ... but what is really cool is its purplish winter color ... if you can track down heather bun ... now that is a really winter purple ...

is that your driveway in one of the pix.. since there seems to be conifers on the other side ...

are you mail ordering [besides iseli??] .. and where are you???? .. you dont really do citrus in z4 do you???

keep at God's work ..

ken

• dietzjm
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks for the comments, guys.
    My conifers are in central Wisconsin at my parents house. I am a student at the University of Minnesota. All 78 of my conifers are in plastic pots ranging in size from 10 gallon at the smallest to 45 gallons for the biggest/fastest growing trees. Yes, I had to dig huge holes for all!!!!
    For potting medium I mix one part leaf compost, 10 parts peat and 10 parts vermiculite. I also add in a bit of bone meal and Espoma HollyTone light organic fertilizer. It seems to be doing the trick so far.
    The idea is that when I'm done with grad school (in three years) and have my own permament place (a couple years after), I will lift my conifers and take them with me. Hopefully to Madison, which isn't too far from my parents.

Anyway....Ken, yes I was suprised that the sciadopitys made it threw the winter perfectly. I just burlap it. I bought the Golden Spreader this past summer so I have yet to see how it deals with Wisco winters. Rose cone and a ton of snow over the top are what I plan to do with it.
    What do you suggest I do with the Teddy and snow load? Wrap it in burlap?
    As for the straw. I've had it for two years and have never seen it yellow-it's always just a nice Cream.
    I get my plants from a variety of places. Iseli, Porterhowse, Stanley and Sons, Rich's Fox Willow (not impressed), Girard's (also not impressed), and a place down near Madison called Stonewall Nursery which is AWESOME! (Link below).
    Again, thank you!

-Matt

Here is a link that might be useful: Stonewall Nursery