Deltic Prototype For Spirit Of Steam

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by tardisgaming07, Jun 20, 2022.

1. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

The Deltic Prototype, officially classified as DP1 but most commonly known as either Deltic or the Deltic Prototype was operated on British Railways routes between 1955 and November 1960 when it suffered an engine failure and was withdrawn. During this period, it spent the first year of its life being tested on fast freight services from London to Liverpool, after which it spent a period of time working over the Settle & Carlisle before returning sporadically when hauling either the Shamrock or Merseyside Express, which ran non stop between Euston and Liverpool. For TSW, it would be these fast freight services which DP1 will be found on. Whilst it would most likely add no more than 5 services a day, this loco would be a unique inclusion to the game, and has already been created by DTG for TS Classic.
    [​IMG]
    DP1 sat outside it's current home of Shildon, although it spent 2012 to 2015 at the Ribble Steam Railway in Preston.

Loco Stats:
    Horsepower: 3,300
    Number of engines: 2
    Wheel arrangement: Co-Co
    Introduced to service: 1955
    Withdrawn from service: 1961
    Weight: 108 tonnes
    Top speed: 100 mph
    [​IMG]
    DP1 seen sat in Platform 2 at Chester.

[​IMG]
    DP1 inside the Shildon Locomotion building.

• Like Like x 10
  2. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

If we were to get a Class 55 later on with another route such as Newcastle to York, then maybe. Otherwise creating a unique loco for one route that only adds a handful of services wouldn't be worth it IMO. Still a fun loco to drive though :)

• Like Like x 2
  3. tardisgaming07

tardisgaming07 Well-Known Member

There are quite a few differences visually so basing the DP off of a production Deltic would be wrong as shown below[​IMG]
    Class 55

[​IMG]
    DP1

• Like Like x 1
  4. JJTimothy

JJTimothy Well-Known Member

My understanding is that the Prototype was never known as DP1. The name seems to have appeared and been applied retroactively some time after the introduction of DP2 (for Deltic Prototype 2)- the designation of another one off locomotive that used a modified Class 55 body shell as a test bed for the engine that would go on to be used in the Class 50.

5. AirbourneAlex

AirbourneAlex Well-Known Member

With the appropriate modifications, of course. What DTG would call a 'part-build' as both locos share common design features e.g. bogies, cab design and bodyshell. Making one should make making the other easier, like what happened with the Class 313 and Class 314 or the Class 375 and Class 377.

6. theorganist

theorganist Well-Known Member

It would certainly add a splash of colour to the route. I wouldn't mind seeing it as a DLC.

It would be good to see LMS diesels 10000 and 10001 as well, although I don't know if they worked into Liverpool, I would imagine they would have done though.

• Like Like x 1
  7. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

Just imagine how futuristic the sight of the bright Deltic must've been in the steam era, would love to see this loco, but as a one-off it might be difficult timetable-wise.

• Like Like x 1
  8. theorganist

Well if hauling an express for example, I suppose it could have a run up during the morning, go "on shed" for a few hours and go back to Lime Street and haul an express back in the afternoon. It would only realistically appear once each way, which would be part of the attraction I suppose.

9. ARuscoe

ARuscoe Well-Known Member

We're missing locos and units that do millions of miles a year and this seems like an awful lot of dev work to get the train, sounds, controls etc etc working for a "once a day back and forth and a couple of ECS moves" loco...

10. jolojonasgames

jolojonasgames Well-Known Member

I also (as much as I like the look of the prototype) think a proper serial production Deltic alongside the as-built HST's on an ECML route would be a better use for dev time than a loco that can realistically do 4-6 services. Then you can see the Class 55's working many services and it could also be an oppertunity to finally introduce some Valenta HST's and the much demanded ECML.

Spirit of steam would be more suitable for steam loco DLC's as there is a huge oppertunity for those too.

• Like Like x 2
  11. theorganist

Well I didn't make the suggestion! I just said I wouldn't mind seeing it and how it might appear!

Absolutely, I would much prefer to see some steam DLC. There are many potential steam DLC which could be added, they certainly should come before any possible diesel DLC in my opinion.

12. ARuscoe

Absolutely. Loads of steam engines available to be built

13. ARuscoe

Wasn't picking on you per se... just quoted you

• Like Like x 1
  14. driverwoods#1787

driverwoods#1787 Well-Known Member

win win DLC is DP1 Black Five Henry LMS Ivatt 2-6-2 T Arthur as West Coast mainline Liverpool to crewe Old and new.

15. oakleymoss#1362

oakleymoss#1362 Well-Known Member

Would love the have DP1 in game however AirbourneAlex is right, what is the point of going through the effort of bringing in an engine into TSW2 if it can only be used on 5 services? also DP1 hasn't ran since her withdrawal in the early 1960s so getting sounds for her would be next to impossible and no, the engines used in the Class 55s differ to the ones used in DP1. And anyways, I highly doubt that we will see any type of prototypes or experimental in the near future which is a shame as I would love to have the APT-P (commonly known as simply APT) in game.