(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,245,570 Bi
Grimm et al. (45) Date of Patent: Jun. 12,2001
(54) CONTAINER FOR IRRADIATION OF BLOOD PRODUCTS
(75) Inventors: Daniel J. Grimm, McHenry; Mark S.
Leuenberger, Gurnee, both of IL (US)
(73) Assignee: Baxter International Inc., Deerfield, IL (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 08/121,820
(22) Filed: Sep. 15, 1993
Related U.S. Application Data
(62) Division of application No. 08/058,996, filed on May 6, 1993, now abandoned, which is a continuation of application No. 07/697,170, filed on May 8, 1991, now abandoned.
(51) Int. C I. A61L 2/08
(52) U.S. CI 436/55; 422/24; 604/6.08;
250/453.11; 250/455.11; 250/492.1
(58) Field of Search 422/24, 102; 250/453.1,
250/454.1, 455.1, 492.1, 453.11, 455.11;
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
A container for irradiation comprises a flexible, flat collapsible wall defining a sealed chamber, the plastic material of said wall being substantially transparent to the irradiation, which is typically ultraviolet radiation. An access port or ports are provided for communicating through the wall to the chamber. A flap is provided, integral with the wall and spaced from the chamber. The flap carries identifying indicia including a typically bar code indicia, so that the wall which defines the chamber may be at least substantially free of opaque indicia. Also, means may be provided for detecting an indicating exposure of the container to such irradiation, such as ultraviolet sensitive tape adhering to the flap. Alignment holes may be provided, typically in the flap, to facilitate the orientation of the container with apparatus for irradiation and apparatus for bar code reading, making use of alignment pins carried by such apparatus. The irradiating apparatus may be of hinged section type, which carries a manually removable tray to define a support surface for a flexible container within the apparatus. The support surface is made of an ultraviolet-transmissive material such as quartz.
17 Claims, 2 Drawing Sheets