(19) United States
(12) Patent Application Publication (io) Pub. No.: US 2002/0165550 Al
Frey et al. (43) Pub. Date: Nov. 7,2002
(54) DEVICES AND TECHNIQUES FOR A POSTERIOR LATERAL DISC SPACE APPROACH
(76) Inventors: George Frey, Englewood, CO (US);
John L. White, Bartlett, TN (US);
Steven D. DeRidder, Bartlett, TN (US);
Harald Ebner, Deggendorf (DE)
Woodard, Emhardt, Naughton, Moriarty and
Bank One Center/Tower
111 Monument Circle
Indianapolis, IN 46204-5137 (US)
(21) Appl. No.: 10/120,104
(22) Filed: Apr. 10, 2002
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation-in-part ol application No. 09/858,197, filed on May 15,2001, which is a continuation-in-part ol application No. 09/694,521, filed on Oct. 23, 2000.
(60) Provisional application No. 60/160,667, filed on Oct. 21, 1999.
(51) Int. CI.7 A61B 17/16
(52) U.S. CI 606/85
This invention relates to devices and instruments lor implant insertion through a posterior lateral opening to the disc space. The instruments include an implant inserter, and the devices include a spinal fusion implant engageable by the implant inserter. The implant provides bilateral support of the adjacent vertebrae when inserted into the disc space from a postero-lateral approach.