(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,195,532 Bi
Bamburak et al. (45) Date of Patent: *Feb. 27,2001
(54) METHOD FOR CATEGORIZATION OF
MULTIPLE PROVIDERS IN A WIRELESS
(75) Inventors: Michael D. Bamburak, Columbia, MD (US); John J. Daly, Neshanic Station, NJ (US); Christopher Gregory Lawrence; Michael Edward Prise, both ol Kirkland, WA (US); Michael Allen Raffel, Redmond, WA (US)
(73) Assignee: AT&T Wireless Srcs. Inc., Redmond, WA (US)
( * ) Notice: This patent issued on a continued prosecution application filed under 37 CFR 1.53(d), and is subject to the twenty year patent term provisions of 35 U.S.C. 154(a)(2).
Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
This patent is subject to a terminal disclaimer.
(21) Appl. No.: 08/672,908
(22) Filed: Jun. 28, 1996
(51) Int. CI.7 H04Q 7/00; H04Q 9/00
(52) U.S. CI 455/31.1; 455/62; 455/161.3;
(58) Field of Search 455/62, 67.1, 67.7,
455/120, 154.1, 154.2, 160.1, 161.1-168.1, 179.1, 180.1, 186.1, 186.2, 185.1, 447, 450, 464, 161.3, 161.2, 422, 551, 552,
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
4,788,543 * 11/1988 Rubin 455/527
A communication device locates a preferable wireless service provider in a multi-service provider environment using a frequency band search schedule. Initially, the communications device registers with a less preferred service provider in a first frequency band. While remaining registered with the less preferred service provider, the device examines several frequency bands in the order specified by the frequency band search schedule. A frequency band is examined by dividing the frequency band into many sub-bands, and by locating the strongest signal above a threshold within the sub-band being examined. The examination continues until a second frequency band having a more preferred service provider is located. The communication device then registers with the more preferred service provider. The category of service provider may be identified and displayed on the communication device.
10 Claims, 6 Drawing Sheets