(12) United States Patent ao) Patent No.: us 6,330,005 Bi
Tonelli et al. (45) Date of Patent: Dec. 11,2001
(54) COMMUNICATION PROTOCOL BINDING IN A COMPUTER SYSTEM FOR DESIGNING NETWORKS
(75) Inventors: Daniel L. Tonelli, Hopkinton; Wayne F. Tackabury, West Tisbury, both of MA (US)
(73) Assignee: Visionael Corporation, Palo Alto, CA (US)
( * ) Notice: Subject to any disclaimer, the term of this patent is extended or adjusted under 35 U.S.C. 154(b) by 0 days.
(21) Appl. No.: 09/413,597
(22) Filed: Oct. 6, 1999
Related U.S. Application Data
(63) Continuation of application No. 09/136,030, filed on Aug. 18,1998, now abandoned, which is a continuation-in-part of application No. 08/606,327, filed on Feb. 23,1996, now Pat. No. 5,831,610, and a continuation-in-part of application No. 08/695,608, filed on Aug. 12,1996, now Pat. No. 5,821,937.
(51) Int. C I. G06F 15/16
(52) U.S. CI 345/735; 345/734; 345/736
(58) Field of Search 345/349, 731,
345/734, 735, 736, 853, 854, 855; 709/220,
221, 222, 223
(56) References Cited
U.S. PATENT DOCUMENTS
Re. 36,444 * 12/1999 Snachez-Frank et al 345/349
* cited by examiner
Primary Examiner—Ba Huynh
(74) Attorney, Agent, or Firm—Sawyer Law Group LLP
A computer-implemented method of designing a network includes the steps of populating a network design sheet on a computer display with an intelligent device object that represents a device object having physical attributes and logical attributes, selecting a communication protocol object representing a communication protocol having logical attributes, determining if the communication protocol object can be validly bound to the intelligent device object by comparing the logical attributes of each, and binding the communication protocol object to the intelligent device object on the network design sheet only if the binding is valid.
4 Claims, 50 Drawing Sheets